f to 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

I was thinking of a new motor for my 1972 fj40 and was thinking of a man a fre 2f motor. my question is will a 2f fit with no problems or will I need a new bell houseing for my 3 speed? the other question is if 3 speeds are supposed to be so noisy? my makes quite a bit of noise going down the road and makes me wonder if it too needs to be replaced. but I have heard that they are not the most quiet trannys. thanks

A 2f will fit no problem. Bellhousings are different at the trans, but the same at the engine, so you can use your F bellhousing. Dunno about a Man-A-Fre engine. I don't have that much money.

The three speed is noiser than some other trannies and you don't have much in between you and the trans in a 40, but noise is how it'll tell you there is a problem. The problem is you need to hear a noise to diagnose it. Hard to do on a BB. ;)

From today's LCML concerning a MAF 5-speed that won't shift:

I have a friend who bought a performance 2F from
them. Not a happy story.
He ended up with an unusable motor and switched
to a 350.

>I would have a local transmission expert look at
it. It sure sounds like
syncros to me (but I'm no Marlin).

I don't think MAF knows as much as they think
they do.

Phil
1970 FJ40, Ghost
1986 FJ60, Tank

I'm not bashing MAF. I have not ordered from tham as I have found better prices elsewhere. I'm just passing on relavant info. If it was a positive post, I'd have passed that on too.

well sounds like I will be better off haveing it rebuilt localy. thanks for the input.

When I went through this with my F engine I talked to Specter.  Thought about going to a 2F but there are a lot of things I would have had to change besides the long block, and the price added up pretty fast.  They encouraged me to rebuild the F, but that involved travel or shipping expenses for me that made it uneconomical, or at least a wash, so I bought one of their "low milage" long blocks. Less expensive than Man-a-Fre.  They said typically 10000 miles on them, but no documentation.  I have no reason to disbelieve them after looking at it and after about 1000 miles on it.  No pressing reason to switch over to a 2f if you are sticking to the 3 speed.

does anyone know how much a complete rebuild would cost. I would like to go over everything. I live in northern california if it makes a difference.

It is not cheap to rebuilfd the F motors. Getting the parts is what is expensive. They don't make kits, so everything has to be bought individually. At least I have yet to see a kit for the F engine. They do however sell kits for the 2F, around $1200.
Thats just for the parts, machining is extra, plus any parts that are worn beyond repair that need to be replaced. Ypu are also looking at head work, gonna need hardened seats, guides, and whatever else is unrepairable. If you don't do the tear down and build up yourself, your looking at additional fees.
Its hard to give a ballpark figure until the motor is torn down and inspected. But i can safely say its gonna cost more than $1000.
This is why most people opt to go with the 350. The initial cost is high, but replacement parts are cheap, and readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom