F this S. I'm going to live in my FZJ (1 Viewer)

How’s the bug out going man?? I haven’t read your whole thread.

I have driven to Panama and back nearly four times for up to five months at a time living out of my Toyota’s and Cruisers.

Three years since the last trip, building a truck for it now but with the world situation.....ya. 🙄

Cheers

I'm still getting everything prepared. Have some baselining to finish up.

Sounds like you've had some awesome trips. Any words of wisdom?

My biggest concerns are preventing/avoiding mechanical failures.

Also trying to figure out how to hide my guns and ammo when I'm not out and about.

Don't want them stolen (or any of my stuff for that matter) if I'm out hiking or biking.

But I also want to avoid getting hassled if pulled over in an unfriendly area.

Thinking of ways to set up drawers or compartments when I take the seats out and build a sleeping platform with storage. As well as more creative ideas.

Also trying to figure out how to hide my guns and ammo when I'm not out and about.

Don't want them stolen (or any of my stuff for that matter) if I'm out hiking or biking.

Thinking of ways to set up drawers or compartments when I take the seats out and build a sleeping platform with storage. As well as more creative ideas.
Search for gub storage on here. I think there are some good ideas.

I’d go for a homemade plywood drawer system with some carpet on top so you can’t even tell it’s there when the tailgate is up. Besides a few days of work that would be super cheap to make. No super bombproof way to lock things up in a vehicle, out of sight is about the best you can do.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor

So first two trips were in an 04 DBL cab Taco. Truck had TRD s/c, 7th injector and tons of mods. First trip did 25,000 in five months in this truck. Second trip a year later in the same truck did 15,000 miles in four months. Trip in 2017 was in a 2000 100-series, heavily built. Did 15,000 miles in five months.

Both trucks were heavily baselined. Nothing left or not gone over on the trucks. I also carried some spare parts. The first trip the Taco started having a failing TPS which got worse and worse. It eventually failed in Southern Mexico. I got a new throttle body shipped to Belize, Toyota doesn't sell the sensor, picked it up, installed it in under an hour and no more problems. The 100 weighed 8,000lbs loaded. Had a rear caliper start dragging on the way home in Mexico. Side of the road fixed it myself, free'ed up the caliper and put on new pads I had. No more issues. That is the only issues I had besides some rear suspension dramas on the Taco from cheap air bags. One tire plug in all those miles and rough roads too! ;)

I build them for these trips so I can sleep in the truck. Stash spots also important. If you are just rolling around the USA, I wouldn't worry to much.

Everyone is different in how they like to do it. First trip I went with all the crap, even a 20gal pressurized water system for camp. Five of my own builds later and a bunch of trips, I like quick and easy camp setup, I like the truck as light as possible, I don't need a bunch of fancy stuff. I can go five days with no shower (baby wipes are key) and hit a hotel or hostel and shower up. So just no reason for me to have a complex washing system. A solar shower is plenty and fine. I use a lot of river and backpacking gear now for overlanding. Overland gear is bulky and heavy, like I said I like to go light.

Cheers

So first two trips were in an 04 DBL cab Taco. Truck had TRD s/c, 7th injector and tons of mods. First trip did 25,000 in five months in this truck. Second trip a year later in the same truck did 15,000 miles in four months. Trip in 2017 was in a 2000 100-series, heavily built. Did 15,000 miles in five months.

Both trucks were heavily baselined. Nothing left or not gone over on the trucks. I also carried some spare parts. The first trip the Taco started having a failing TPS which got worse and worse. It eventually failed in Southern Mexico. I got a new throttle body shipped to Belize, Toyota doesn't sell the sensor, picked it up, installed it in under an hour and no more problems. The 100 weighed 8,000lbs loaded. Had a rear caliper start dragging on the way home in Mexico. Side of the road fixed it myself, free'ed up the caliper and put on new pads I had. No more issues. That is the only issues I had besides some rear suspension dramas on the Taco from cheap air bags. One tire plug in all those miles and rough roads too! ;)

I build them for these trips so I can sleep in the truck. Stash spots also important. If you are just rolling around the USA, I wouldn't worry to much.

Everyone is different in how they like to do it. First trip I went with all the crap, even a 20gal pressurized water system for camp. Five of my own builds later and a bunch of trips, I like quick and easy camp setup, I like the truck as light as possible, I don't need a bunch of fancy stuff. I can go five days with no shower (baby wipes are key) and hit a hotel or hostel and shower up. So just no reason for me to have a complex washing system. A solar shower is plenty and fine. I use a lot of river and backpacking gear now for overlanding. Overland gear is bulky and heavy, like I said I like to go light.

Cheers

I plan on taking spare parts for sure. Battery, alternator, brake pads. Will keep my old belts and hoses, etc. My worst fear (besides something major) is something crucial like a starter failure with no replacement available in a remote area.

Storing things efficiently will be key of course. Maybe some fuel and water jugs on a roof rack and some tools, spare parts etc in a tow receiver rack/box. I really don't need a lot of stuff but space will still be at a premium. Do you recommend certain storage methods over others? For example a receiver rack in the back would give me more space but it would make for a longer rig, and possibly obscure the license plate and cause me hassle, etc. Also wouldn't be able to use a drawer system out of the tailgate very easily.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
You don't need a lot of tools for an 80. 8,10,12,14,17,19 and you can do most things. Big crescent wrench too. Breaker bar as well. As you work on your truck you will see what tools you use most. I carry the basics plus pry bar, brass hammer/punch and a chisel, few screw drivers, channel locks, ect. I carry a few wiring repair items, a few hoses, some thread lock, ect. I don't carry a lot of fluids.

I like drawers I can sleep on top of. I have made my own drawers and bought sets as well. Budget decides. I keep all cooking, tools, recovery gear, spare parts and whatever else I can fit in the drawers. I keep food in a hard tote. I carry a light weight river folding table, river meaning meant for river trips. I like a rear bumper for tire, high lift and fuel/water cans. I pack weight down low, only use RR for lighter weight gear and overflow from the inside of the truck. It is nice for firewood too. I have a highly efficient stove that will run on a 3gal tank for nearly a month. I like the Front Runner grill because it goes over the tire and I use it a lot.

I have also set up hammock poles that hang off the side of the truck. These poles slide into the side of the bumpers and are easy to carry on the RR. I spent five weeks sleeping almost every night in the hammock in Baja. I had an awning I could deploy over the hammock. This is a nice,quick and easy way to go and you don't have to unpack the sleeping area in the truck each night.

Here are a few pics. Several of the reasons I like to set the trucks up this way is weight, security and low profile. I was traveling international so for a truck I would only be using in the USA i would do a few things different. I like to offroad though while I travel so that certainly plays a roll in the build.

Baja.jpg
Panama 1.jpg
baja taco4.jpg

Food is cheap in Latin America, so is beer. My biggest expenses on these trips has always been fuel.

Cheers

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Here is one of my old 80's in Baja.

In this truck I could do any of three camping set up. Sleep on the drawers, hammock poles off the side or tent under the ARB awning. All three ways worked good and are quick to setup. I dislike a camp that takes hours to pack up, even if I am staying in one places for a week.

All my trucks I pull the seats, except for the front. I run a fridge in all of them too. I also run x2 batteries. The 100 series we base camped for up to 10-days. For that I would run a solar panel to keep one of the two batteries topped off. Good seat covers like the Escape Gear or Specter have nice huge pockets in the back. I pack those full of gear too.

Baja.jpg

Cheers

Here is one of my old 80's in Baja.

In this truck I could do any of three camping set up. Sleep on the drawers, hammock poles off the side or tent under the ARB awning. All three ways worked good and are quick to setup. I dislike a camp that takes hours to pack up, even if I am staying in one places for a week.

All my trucks I pull the seats, except for the front. I run a fridge in all of them too. I also run x2 batteries. The 100 series we base camped for up to 10-days. For that I would run a solar panel to keep one of the two batteries topped off. Good seat covers like the Escape Gear or Specter have nice huge pockets in the back. I pack those full of gear too.

View attachment 2346974

Cheers
Thanks so much for all the info. Gives me a lot of ideas and motivation.

Sounds like a life well-lived so far :)

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Life's about living bro and we only do it once.

I have more trips planned. Was hoping to get down to Baja this coming winter but now the world is upside down so not sure if I will make it then. Building the 80 right now for it though.

Just a few tid bits of info in you have a desire to drive down to Panama. I have beelined it home a few times. That is 5,000 miles to Idaho for the shortest route. Both trucks only got about 12mpg average, fuel costs $1,500-2,000 for the beeline drive. I can do it in 9 brutal days, 12+hrs a day. First two trips I did old school with no GPS. Talk about an adventure! Got lost A LOT!! Way fun though. Last trip used GPS, man is it easier, takes a lot of the fun out of it but also makes it much more relaxing.

And you don't have to get fancy to do it. I have a friend who has been down to Costa Rica and back in a $2,000 25yr old 4runner. No problems for him.

Cheers

Look around for a cheap roof top box, you can usually find one for cheap.
The provide lot of storage .
Also look for a cheap 10x10 tarp, you can attach tht to your roof rack for a cheap lean to off your truck.
Good luck.

For your O2 sensor issue, this will allow you to remove your cats.

Last edited:
First really bad day working on the cruiser. Almost has me wondering if it's the right vehicle.

With the valve cover and throttle body off, I thought I'd replace the vacuum lines. One was bad at the ends so I was glad I looked.

Wtf was with Toyota's obsession with vacuum lines? Let's be real.. It's ridiculous.

So there is a 90* hose underneath the throttle body that I took off to check.. I 100% cannot get it back on. My hands are too big to fit under the throttle body flange. I can't get a needle nose or regular pliers to snug it down because of the fuel rail. Even sloppy wet at the ends with oil. There's just no room. I've spent 3 hours trying everything I can think of. It can't be reached from the driver side.

So I'm just going to take a break for the rest of the day.

I know these 80s are reliable and great.. There IS a lot of room around the engine. However there is almost zero hand/arm room to access stuff.

All the accessories (starter, alternator, etc) look like an absolute nightmare to try to access. Making repairs in the field might be a real problem for me.. My hands and forearms are abnormally large and do not fit in tight spaces

I have to wonder if it might be better to take a vehicle that might have issues more often but have parts that can actually be accessed reasonably.

I'm trying to not sound crass/ignorant, but It's clear the maintenence was intended to be done by very small hands..

There is also the mpg issue.. My old 719hp 4wd diesel truck @5500 lbs averaged 23mpg and was comparatively very easy to access everything.

Last edited:
I'm guessing nobody makes a log style intake manifold? That would solve a lot of the issue. The runners should be perpendicular to the head, not so tall, and not wrapped around/over every damn thing. If they need to be that crazy long, they could've gone outwards more instead of upward. And even saved some heat soak and been true equal length. With some space inbetween each one to fit ratchets/pliers/fingers

But wtf do I know.. I can't even get a vacuum hose back on lol

There are some aftermarket log style manifolds out there, but I'm not sure they work with all the various emissions stuff. Mainly designed for racing engines and whatnot in overseas markets. @scottryana

Sounds like you have the wrong vehicle, if the 80 presents you with any challenges it sounds like maybe you would be better off with a carb’d Chevy 350. Oh except you want to go to Colorado which is at elevation and cold as s*** so you’ll be pullling over re-jetting it on the side of the road. Or maybe a mechanical diesel setup? We all know how much diesels love to sit in the cold without being plugged in while you sleep in the back.

it really sounds to me like you need to take a few steps back and actually have some kind of plan before you say “F this S” and attempt to be a car hobo.

I recently replaced every vacuum line in the truck while I did a big maintenance sweep (various oil seals, alternator brushes, fuel pump, injector servicing, PS pump replacement, PS cooler replacement, harness inspection and re-wrap, VSV etc). I highly recommend taking off the upper portion of the intake "clam shell" as well as the throttle body itself. Once you do this, you can reach the hoses a lot easier. I also recommend some long handled hose pliers (round on the end) of different diameters to help with this job.

If you're questioning if this is the right vehicle... it may not be. If I had a big diesel pickup, I'd be tempted to buy a camper for it (the kind that fits in the bed). You'd have a lot more creature comforts, carry more stuff and could set up camp easily. Why did you get rid of that rig... and 719hp, it sounds like you did a lot of work to it and had it dyno'd, tuned, etc. Maybe starting with a platform like that you are more familiar with would be a better fit.

I am not trying to throw stones, but your 80 seems a bit rough -- so many are at this age. It is likely to require thousands (with you doing the labor) to get in good enough shape to feel comfortable being solo and way out in the bush. The mods/repairs around the EGR, harness, heater valve area look questionable and seeing the rust on the rocker panel and fenders may be an indication that many of the systems are going to need significant attention.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Sounds like a cool plan and lots of great advice.

You are really the only one that can determine the appetite you have for trail/roadside/parking lot repairs, but by becoming mechanically intimate with your 80 series or what ever else you choose to take Before you go is key! It is always easier to do a repair the second time.

A couple of good reads Are all the 2008/09/10 threads on Mud and Expedition Portal where folks did the Same you are planning.

Two particular stories/advice standout that I read somewhere at that time:

The first a member was going to sale most everything he owned and hit the road to camp/live out of his truck. The advice he received, first find the smallest room in your apartment/house what ever it was and see if you can live in there with the essentials you plan to take, if you make it comfortably 30 days, hit the road.

The second where a guy bought an old Penske? box truck And set it up as a camper inside with his Mtn Bike, maybe even a small street And trail motorcycle as well. He could park/camp anywhere for free. In a cul da sac, neighbors just thought someone in the neighborhood must be moving or bought some furniture, in business parking lots he looked as if he belonged. He always found conspicuous spots while on the road and looked a lot less like he was living out of his rig. He would be up and on the road before anyone asked any questions.

Good luck and safe travels, sounds like an adventure!

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
Checking back in... Sorry for the incorrect info regarding heater line. Pulling the rear heater out of my truck was the first thing I did, and I thought that both hard lines came up from the passenger side of engine, it's been a while since I looked at any of that stuff.
@richardlillard1 , thanks for the clarification there.
As to having a hell of a time wrenching; Take a step back and take a breath or 2. It seems really backwards, but many of the more involved maintenance tasks for these trucks require removal of a lot of other stuff first. a 10x10 portable canopy can be a lifesaver for those of us without garage space. Also, pulling the hood can get you some more access. I did my fuel filter back in April from under the truck. I think the only real issues for that vacuum tube you're wrestling with are if you do pull more intake off, you need a new gasket, and the potential of bolts/studs breaking.
You can do it!

After a couple days of stewing I realized the 90* vacuum elbow under the throttle body was just barely not equal lengths. Flipped it around, used real clamps and got the rest of the engine sealed up. Also put a clean grill frame thing on as mine was busted.

Speaking of busted, the previous owner had a grand old time apparently running trees over.. The front bumper is badly dented, cobbled together and doesn't fit right. At all. So I have to save for an aftermarket as free shipping will cover the gas cost of driving to get a used one. Any suggestions?

Also I can't tell where the trans fluid leak is coming from so I have to just replace everything.

So the looping hard line directly under the radiator support.. What is it? It looks like just extra length to catch a road hazard and spring a leak. The power steering fluid just loops through it unnecessarily.

There was one drop of trans fluid coming off it. So the leak has to be above it. But the hoses look fine. Still going to replace the rest of them but I'm kind of at a loss

After a couple days of stewing I realized the 90* vacuum elbow under the throttle body was just barely not equal lengths. Flipped it around, used real clamps and got the rest of the engine sealed up. Also put a clean grill frame thing on as mine was busted.

Speaking of busted, the previous owner had a grand old time apparently running trees over.. The front bumper is badly dented, cobbled together and doesn't fit right. At all. So I have to save for an aftermarket as free shipping will cover the gas cost of driving to get a used one. Any suggestions?

Also I can't tell where the trans fluid leak is coming from so I have to just replace everything.

So the looping hard line directly under the radiator support.. What is it? It looks like just extra length to catch a road hazard and spring a leak. The power steering fluid just loops through it unnecessarily.

There was one drop of trans fluid coming off it. So the leak has to be above it. But the hoses look fine. Still going to replace the rest of them but I'm kind of at a loss
That's referred to as the "paperclip" PS cooler. It is about a $350 hose (not a typo) but you can also take it to a hydraulic shop and rebuild it or buy a cheaper version from RockAuto.

The transmission lines go into the radiator right above that so it could also be trans lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom