F this S. I'm going to live in my FZJ (1 Viewer)

I'm checking out. I know just enough science and history to be freaked out by the realities of this pandemic, with cases skyrocketing in my area with people who don't give a fk about their health and never will. I also don't really have much going for me besides a sense of adventure and total maverick attitude. I mean I did but now with the world going to crap I just don't care anymore and I'm not happy. I also had "protesters" yelling and cars beeping outside my window for 8 fn hours today.

So I'm just going to camp around wherever. Hunt, fish, campfires, bbq, meet some ppl maybe. Life is short, so fk it. I am way too adventurous and curious to be a normie anyway. I have no tv and zero social media if that tells you anything. Also no friends left (bros before hos isn't a thing) and my dog is going to die in the next 12 months. Hopefully I can take him with me and show him some stuff.

Im also drunk, which often births the greatest of ideas.

I'm aware there's an expedition forum, however we might as well call it the gucci gear forum. And to be frank, my issues are mechanical. Not gucci choices.

1) I hAve no idea where to go or what to do. Besides deserts in the winter, and mountains in the summer. And s***. Maybe find some people online to hang with who are bored.. Reddit communities. National parks. And s***. I do however plan on working as little as possible (odd jobs, freelance online s***, etc) and hunting/fishing/camping nonstop. All of the time. Judge me all you want. I'm like 3% native american so that would make you a racist. haha

2) My rig is a total beater by most of your standards. I love the thing. Have had it for like a year and a half now. Dead nuts reliable but it is horrible ugly. Rust on the exterior but underbody is still solid, thank jesus. I have some replacement body panels and some bodywork experience so it's time to get to it.

3) I'm going to spend the next couple months fixing stuff and preparing for a journey to wherever I want, whenever I want.

I research all of my problems here and almost always find an answer to my questions.

The only major work I've done so far is having had the entire brake system (everything) replaced over the winter. If it weren't so cold, I would've done it myself. But the budget is gone.

I'm fixing a couple leaks and replacing all vacuum lines this week.

Also going to pull off the door panel because the drivers side window is either off track or the motor is shot. We'll see if I can McGyver it for freebs.

My major immediate needed repairs are

a) filler neck tube... leaks when I get gas. From what I've seen in searches, it's going to be a major bitch of a job. Tank has to come out, and possibly lifting the body off the frame? Sounds like a s***ty time. I'm going to see if I can carefully cut both ends with a pipe cutter and replace with a gasoline rated hose. If such a thing exists. For the past year I've just pretended that the gas is water from a puddle or rain. But that won't cut it forever and I should probably stop.

b) exhaust is rotted. It is so rotted that the seam after the manifold collecter is cracked. I want to try to have a buddy weld that back together but the gap is pretty large. Is there a replacement manifold in 2020?

Also in my state there is no emissions testing. I can get by ditching the cats (selling them for repair money). I just don't know how to plumb in the O2 sensors then. I can get pieces of pipe with bungs.. but will the readings be off/throw codes? Oh yeah I also need O2 sensors.

c) power steering whines at low speeds turning in and out. Fluid is mostly full. Is this a gear issue or kinda sorta standard?

thankx and wish me luck

Last edited:

nukegoat

Should have bought a Jeep
SILVER Star
Yes you can get fuel filler hose. Go for it. I did for other reasons but the ID you want is 1 5/8". I bought mine from fillernecksupply.com

Exhaust - you can fool the after-cat o2 sensor, but keep the upstream one.

If the power steering whines then it may be leaking or sucking air. Just flush the fluid and YOLO

Rock out

Road Apple

SILVER Star
Living away from the craziness and checking out is something that has crossed my mind as well. There are plenty of places to get lost west of the Rockies. The four corners area in particular.

Check out the thread to repair the window that has fallen off the track. Pretty easy fix.

Would like to hear of your adventures. Post up some updates.

The little plastic rollers probably came out of the track on the bottom of the glass, if the roller is still intact you can pop it back in and crim the ends of the track with pliers to try to keep it in. That worked on my rear windows so far.

studawg

SILVER Star
I'm checking out. I know just enough science and history to be freaked out by the realities of this pandemic, with cases skyrocketing in my area

Do you know there's a good chance you probably already had it and didn't even know it? And now you're immune. Its not even the flu bro, its technically a cold. We have flu seasons every year that kill more people, and they kill young and healthy people. The guy who predicted 2 million deaths just admitted that 90% of the people who died WITH CV would have died within the year anyway from their comorbidities. But as Mark Twain said, its easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. So do whatever.

b) exhaust is rotted. It is so rotted that the seam after the manifold collecter is cracked. I want to try to have a buddy weld that back together but the gap is pretty large. Is there a replacement manifold in 2020?

Check/advertise in parts for sale and vehicle part out sections. A used piece in good condition should be available somewhere.

Just some advice from an old guy. I’ve given it to many people over the years and it is 100% true:

No matter where you go, there you are.

If you can’t find a way to be happy where you are, you won’t find happiness anywhere. YOU are the only person responsible for your happiness. Moving doesn’t change your outlook, just the scenery.

Good luck.

See the following thread with part numbers and approximate prices for your truck.

Today I disabled the EGR and the idle seems to be a little more smoothe which is bulls*** and it actually probably changed nothing

I have had random misfire codes and all specific cylinder misfire codes since I've had the thing. Replaced all ignition components hasn't fixed it (yes properly gapped plugs etc etc). Really hoping it's not a head gasket or intake manifold gasket (no other signs of these problems though).

Even replaced some scorched wires in the harness behind EGR and traced other wires in the harness to common problem areas (no dice)

It runs great at speed. Just wonky idle at times.

Today I also tried to reset the airbags due to the bag dash light being on. I got it to flash off and then it came right back on.I have no airbag DTCs

When I pull the bumper off to replace a fender and some hoses I'll see if something is disconnected or smashed

Just some advice from an old guy. I’ve given it to many people over the years and it is 100% true:

No matter where you go, there you are.

If you can’t find a way to be happy where you are, you won’t find happiness anywhere. YOU are the only person responsible for your happiness. Moving doesn’t change your outlook, just the scenery.

Good luck.
I know what you say is true. Sometimes adventure and camping really does help.

Its not that I'm trying to run away from myself. I'm just ready for some adventure and there's nothing leftfor me here

Today I disabled the EGR and the idle seems to be a little more smoothe which is bulls*** and it actually probably changed nothing

I have had random misfire codes and all specific cylinder misfire codes since I've had the thing. Replaced all ignition components hasn't fixed it (yes properly gapped plugs etc etc). Really hoping it's not a head gasket or intake manifold gasket (no other signs of these problems though).

Even replaced some scorched wires in the harness behind EGR and traced other wires in the harness to common problem areas (no dice)

It runs great at speed. Just wonky idle at times.

Today I also tried to reset the airbags due to the bag dash light being on. I got it to flash off and then it came right back on.I have no airbag DTCs

When I pull the bumper off to replace a fender and some hoses I'll see if something is disconnected or smashed
There are no impact sensors on the bumper or wiring. The airbags fire due to the impact sensor under the center console.

Need to get a FSM and properly diagnose the sensor and what's going on. Usually corroded plugs.

Do you know there's a good chance you probably already had it and didn't even know it? And now you're immune. Its not even the flu bro, its technically a cold. We have flu seasons every year that kill more people, and they kill young and healthy people. The guy who predicted 2 million deaths just admitted that 90% of the people who died WITH CV would have died within the year anyway from their comorbidities. But as Mark Twain said, its easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. So do whatever.

Thanks for being supportive and trying to be a shining light in the dark times.

I am sorry to say that you're very mistaken and there is much more to the picture. But I'm not out to change anybody's minds. Normally I would present all the data and medical lit I have saved, the peer reviews that trash the misconceptions etc, and then you would blow it all off, and we would be diametrically opposed. I've learned that people just want to be optimistic about it and that's one way to cope with the situation. Pretty normal.

But this is a new chapter where I simply wish the best for everybody and let ppl believe whatever they'd like to believe and now I just wanna do my own thing, take my own precautions, and see/do incredible things before I croak

I just dgaf about problems or debates anymore. The rest of the world can keep it.

You and I visit the same other forum, btw. Probably have a lot in common and I commend you for being optimistic. That's good. Right on.

Last edited:
There are no impact sensors on the bumper or wiring. The airbags fire due to the impact sensor under the center console.

Need to get a FSM and properly diagnose the sensor and what's going on. Usually corroded plugs.

thanks so much for all the info. I have a FSM saved somewhere but I don't have a test light and I've never had much luck with test lights and wiring. I will just pull the plug and clean all connections. If no luck, eventually replace it

eta: before i pull the sensor and get killed by the airbag before my journey even gets started, is there a proper way to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom