F radiator in a B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since my hope for a b radiator locally (japan) has thus far turned up nothing.... What are the differences between the B and the F units? Is there any reason I couldn't fit the F in place of the B?

Pete

They are reversed, B has the lower on the drivers side, upper in the pass. F is opposite... Or is it the otherway?

I think you could get away with using a F in a B because you have so much room just get a pre shaped hose that would work. B on a F no way.

They are reversed, B has the lower on the drivers side, upper in the pass. F is opposite... Or is it the otherway?

I think you could get away with using a F in a B because you have so much room just get a pre shaped hose that would work. B on a F no way.

I thought the B radiator had both the hoses on the LH side with the coolant flowing from one side to the other and back via a horizontal divider in the middle of the rad.
With all the room in front of a B engine and F rad should work though.

Im pretty sure the reason why the 'B' series radiators changed is due to the introduction of power steering.

It looks as though power steering wasnt available until 10/81. Up until then the upper radiator hose joined the radiator on the RH side. After 10/81 it changed with the upper hose swaping to the LH side of the radiator. The reason no doubt was due to the fact that the B series mounted its power steering pump/pulley to the front RH side of the cylinder head - which would have fouled the earlier radiator hose setup. The lower hose joined the radiator on the LH side through out.

This applies to both the BJ40 and BJ60

BJ4# Radiator 8008-8110.jpg
BJ4# Radiator 8110-8410.jpg

Heres an engine bay shot of a 1980 BJ41

186860645_full.jpg
BJ4# Radiator 8008-8110.jpg
BJ4# Radiator 8110-8410.jpg
186860645_full.jpg

This is exactly why I need a different radiator than the one I have. I want to put in power steering. I have all the other oem parts to install.

Im pretty sure the reason why the 'B' series radiators changed is due to the introduction of power steering.

It looks as though power steering wasnt available until 10/81. Up until then the upper radiator hose joined the radiator on the RH side. After 10/81 it changed with the upper hose swaping to the LH side of the radiator. The reason no doubt was due to the fact that the B series mounted its power steering pump/pulley to the front RH side of the cylinder head - which would have fouled the earlier radiator hose setup. The lower hose joined the radiator on the LH side through out.

I am running a F rad in my BJ40, no problems.

You just have to figure out a bottom hose, i used the factory BJ hose with a 1.5" 90 degree copper elbow to join it to a BJ60 upper red hose to go over to the r/h side and it works just fine. For the top I used a BJ60 upper hose.

HTH's
Daryl

Figuring out the hose configuration isn't my challenge, and I agree with both of the previous posts..either move the outlet, or come up with a cross flow hose solution.

Not to hijack the thread, but I am concerned that by adding PS AND AC that I will exceed the capabilities of the BJ/FJ radiator, and am considering going to the Man-A-Fre V8 aluminum set up. I'll run a new thread as I get closer to that decision.

Dan

You guys are aware that any competent radiator shop can move the outlets around, right?

We just had the F series radiator modified to work with our B.

Dan

X10 with Dan. I took my cruiser still running the B rad over to a rad shop to have a new rad made up to fit the space that I had with the HZ swapped in. They were able to make it a teensy bit wider, no thicker and all for the same cost as I paid for a new rad for my GFs then Buick. I'd take it to a rad shop that you normally find mixed in among the truck mechanics shops and let them look at the old rad, tell them what you want. They might be able to move the inlet and outlet and they might think it more economical to build a new one. BTW if you are going for a new one my .02 would be a 4 core brass as they can be repaired and welded more easily.:cheers:

If you are going off-road a ton, then go brass 4 core no questions asked. For me, I live in Florida where it's hot all the time, and will use the cruiser to drive to Lowe's and maybe got to the beach once in a while..I just want things to run really cool since I'm adding AC and PS. Mostly stop and go traffic for me. Hence, I am leaning toward the aluminum option with an electric fan.

Great info in this thread. Any other options since 2011? Someone making a BJ40 B engine radiator? Or is the go still horse shoeing the lower hose on an F radiator or moving the ports on an F or just having a custom built?

When you google them lots come up. Seems to be different types too. PS etc. My BJ60 has power steering and it has the hoses on the left side.

When the time comes for me, I will get mine rebuilt.

There is "great info in this thread" indeed, thank you mates!

Looking for a 3B rad too and cannot find one: I want to swap in a FJ45 a 3B engine with a factory P/S.
As Dan put it, a competent radiator shop can move the outlets, that is move the ports on an F rad. Is this the go❔

PS. I have the old 3B-P/S rad in hand and I can get an F brand new OEM rad at a fair price.

======
1984 BJ42 frame-off restored, 4E9 Toyo beige, 5spd factory tranny
1983 FJ/BJ45 resto project

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom