F motor water pump replacement ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to replace a howling water pump on my stock f motor. Should i put permatex on the gasket between the pump and gasket?

in the past i have used the black permatex that comes in a little jar with a brush

I use no.2 permatex on all my water pump gaskets. No leaks. Did the f water pump about a year ago.

and you guys put the permatex or form a gasket between the gasket and the pump or between the gasket and the block?

When I replaced mine recently, I followed the advice of 65swb45 (Mark of Mark's Offroad) which was the following:

- Unscrew the back plate off the water pump. Apply a small bead of rtv silicon on both sides of the gasket and reattach.

- Between the water pump and block I did not use a gasket. I applied a bead of rtv silicon around the water pump hole and torqued to specifications.

This worked for me.

Brian

I've used blue silicone on mine, both sides of both gaskets. They always seem to form a leak after several years on the upper drivers side, lack of bolts there I think. Shows as a seep and antifreeze residue. The better form a gasket stuff from Toyota is probably pretty good. Used a simlar product from Ford on oil pans for the 40, and I-6 Bronco engine many years ago. No leaks what so ever, good stuff.

I also use actual permatex thread sealant on a couple of the bolts for the water pump. I think it is the lower couple, can't recall. But these bolts pass through the block and into the water jacket, they can and will leak around the threads. I'm pretty sure factory manual indicates this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom