1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F motor??? Any good???

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by synergist, Mar 8, 2004.

1. synergist

synergist

Hi guy's,

Found out that my fj55 has a F motor and not a 2F motor, It has the same torque as 2F and has been bored to 40 thou over size- similar to 2F standard bore.

Is the F motor a bad motor????

Cheers!

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome.

Should work fine.

The F engine is not a bad engine.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    What year is it? The late '74 is a 2F block with the F displacement, but the 2F drillings and oiling system. It is probably the best of the F's.
    I've got a 74 F and outside of the engine#, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'm not out to fool anybody, but I have a 2F cast aluminum valve cover, so I can use the 2F aircleaner. I did a PS conversion(mini truck) and wanted to use a stock aircleaner. The "F" is a good motor, the later ones just easier to improve and upgrade.
    IMHO
    Ed

4. synergist

synergist

Hi Degnol,

It's a 4th month 76' does this help?

Any other advise on this motor?

Cheers!

5. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

4/76 should be a 2F.

6. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    What is the numbers stamped into the block on the passenger side, by the starter motor?

7. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    There's a flatground spot on the block just above the starter.
    Hit it with a little carb cleaner, brake cleaner, and some steel wool. You'll be able to see a # on it, check with any of the sites that have a spec sheet. That's how I learned I had a late F. That is after ordering a bunch of parts for a '66 that didn't fit.
    Ed :)

8. synergist

synergist

On the side of the block is says.....

F 301985

9. jim45r

jim45r

Looks like an early '70, see

http://www.sor.com/fengine.html

Don't worry, they're still good motors, torquey, low speed workhorses. 2Fs have better oiling, but these got the job done for years.

10. ca55idy

ca55idy

We have 2 Cruisers with Fs. [67 fj40 and a 69 fj55]
    2 things I love about ours is that they are super quiet, and ours get great gas milage

11. ranger

ranger

The downside is you very hard to find parts for these motors, the oiling system sucks, only a small portion of the oil actually goes through the filter.
    I have one in my 62 FJ40, and I'm going to run it until it blows. They are hard to kill. But once they die, its not worth the $ to rebuild.

12. Outback

Outback

I'll take issue with you there ranger... Parts ARE NOT hard to find...

My '72 "F" had a hard life before I got it but with my long-time friend and professional machinist doing the rebuild it came out of it VERY strong and not lacking for oil.

I'm pretty sure that engine will outlast me if I take care of it properly.

I think the money I spent on it was not wasted and well worth it. Simple technology, PARTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE, things seldom break as long as you are using OEM Toyota for the big stuff like head gasket, water pump, fuel pump, oil pump, etc.

I'll put my "F" up against a stock "2F" any day!

Gundy!!!! Let me hear 'ya!! "F" forever!!!!!!!! You inspired me from the LCML several years ago to keep the "F".

13. Landpimp

Landpimp

1962 f motor is harder to find parts for, than latter F motors, the block and stuff is the same, the head and other stuff I think is different.

14. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

[quote author=Outback link=board=1;threadid=12776;start=msg118072#msg118072 date=1078871821]

I think the money I spent on it was not wasted and well worth it.

Gundy!!!! Let me hear 'ya!! "F" forever!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]

I'm with you! My rebuilt 74F is amazing and makes my 77 2F and 84 2F seem like 4 bangers from a j**p! :D

I even have the high gearing of the 3 sp and 35" tires on the F
    The 77 2F has the lower gearing of 32's and a 4 speed... both have 4.11's

15. Kief

Kief

F or 2f, if ya got a good runner take care of it and you will be fine, If you had a 2f core and an F core and had to choose which one to rebuild I would say build the 2f, otherwise run it.

16. ranger

ranger

Get the "F" out of here! Just kiddin!
    The only way I found parts for my 62 F engine was from vintage parts dealers. You can get a few form Spector. But you will not find a complete kit anywhere! I have scrounged parts here and there, but are extremely hard to find. The engine I have now is 1 year older that me, so it has lasted along time. But it is 1950s technology and has some issues with the design. Oiling is the #1 problem. It is a crappy design by far. When this motor dies I will spend the money to either #1 put a later massaged 2F , or a 350. I personally wouldn't spend $1000+ to rebuild an early F motor.
    [quote author=Outback link=board=1;threadid=12776;start=msg118072#msg118072 date=1078871821]
    I'll take issue with you there ranger... Parts ARE NOT hard to find...

My '72 "F" had a hard life before I got it but with my long-time friend and professional machinist doing the rebuild it came out of it VERY strong and not lacking for oil.

I'm pretty sure that engine will outlast me if I take care of it properly.

I think the money I spent on it was not wasted and well worth it. Simple technology, PARTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE, things seldom break as long as you are using OEM Toyota for the big stuff like head gasket, water pump, fuel pump, oil pump, etc.

Gundy!!!! Let me hear 'ya!! "F" forever!!!!!!!! You inspired me from the LCML several years ago to keep the "F".
    [/quote]

17. synergist

synergist

I can't believe you guys have so much trouble with spare parts over there, im in australia and i picked up my rebuild kit today (ordered it yesterday) and it only cost me around $500 aus.

You guys in the states seem to have way more 55's over there, i was suprised how many sites there are with 55's on them. I dont think Aussies like them very much (i like mine anyway). I thought parts for them would flow freely over there?

Cheers!!

18. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

not many people like the 55 in australia (at least not in the circles i roll with) i think we percieve them as ugly... plus aussies didn't really take to the 4 door body shape, as much as the yanks did (they also got a 4 door 45 wagon).. and as such they are the cheapest landcruiser you can buy in aust. almost bought a good rust free one for $3500 when i got my 40, but didn't want another long wheelbase (and i don't think they're as good looking as the 40)