F motor and HEI Dist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an F motor that I was going to do the HEI conversion to. Is there any difference between the F and 2F when doing this ?

Thanks

I don't believe there is any difference in the distributor conversion for either the F or 2F, as the 2F distributor will fit in the F. I'm about to do the HEI swap on a '74 F motor and I will post as soon as I'm done. Everyone who has done the swap or has a rig that has had it done seems very happy. Look for my post, I hope it has a little smiley face on it! One more thing, mine uses a vacuum ADVANCE dist. and some of the later engines used a vacuum RETARD I think. Mine has been desmogged by the PO as it is titled as a '66.

One piece of advise...remember what year and model vehicle you get the distributor from. The PO of my Cruiser didn't remember what year or model my HEI distributor came from and it's been HELL trying to get the right parts. Other than that, I have no complaints. Good luck!

One piece of advise...remember what year and model vehicle you get the distributor from. The PO of my Cruiser didn't remember what year or model my HEI distributor came from and it's been HELL trying to get the right parts. Other than that, I have no complaints. Good luck!

what he said. Write that crap down. I did the swap on my rig, it worked great. Easier starts, run smoother, not sure on the more power thing as claimed by some, but you know when you're at 90 something horsepower....what's a couple more? :D

ust finished my HEI conversion on a '74 F motor. WOW, what a difference. Thanks to Jeremy and Floyd for their fine tech articles. Used a diz out of an '80 GM straight six truck. I did grind the flange off as Floyd suggested, most of it with a bench grinder andfinished it off with a file. Also added the "O" ring . The tolerances were so close that it took two or three trips back to the bench for a little more file work to get it to seat fully in the oil pump. Made the bushing for the hold down clamp out of plastic pipe. Total time 3 hours, but the next one would take a lot less.
More power all through the rpm range, and it does not struggle at speed like it did. Tach hooked right up. I did run a new wire from the fuse box to the idle solenoid.
The biggest bitch was getting the Accel cut-and-fit wires through those tight little boots. Lots of WD40 and elbow grease. :D
All in all a great upgrade. Got the diz free!!!BTW it was laying in the back of the pickup bed fo 15 years and that thing was cean inside, so it must be weather resistant, to say the least.
As I am told, these are relatively maintainance free, but you should remove the rotor every 20K and oil the little weights and springs. It is both vacuum and mechanical advance.
Thanks for all the help from this board.
Oh, yeah, mine was the internal coil type.
Thanks,
Ed Long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom