F engine starter improvement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dimebank.com
My 7/69 FJ40 has the original F, and with it the original starter "issues" - it randomly will just "click" but not engage. It will always engage eventually - or at least, has always done so far - but I'd like a better answer.

I have had the starter out and rebuilt it, polished the contacts, all that. No noticeable improvement, ever.

I have this memory that the "hot fix" is to install the starter from a 2F engine - that is, from a "1980 fj 60". Is that still the received wisdom/best plan? Is that a direct drive starter? Not really interested in messing with the wiring for a gear reduction starter, since it doesn't sound like the gear reduction isn't always an improvement in the cold.

I'm going to be doing a bunch of little "honeydew" projects on the truck over the next month, and this is on the list of things that I'd like to address.

Thanks!

Ditto

No mods were needed on my 1970 F engine to run the above mentioned starter. I’d check over the rest of your wiring and grounds as well, all the way to the ignition switch. (Still running the ground between engine and frame at starter?)

Will they take a non gear drive old style starter as a core?

As long as rhe core is fully assembled and not aftermarket it should fly.

My 7/69 FJ40 has the original F, and with it the original starter "issues" - it randomly will just "click" but not engage. It will always engage eventually - or at least, has always done so far - but I'd like a better answer.

I have had the starter out and rebuilt it, polished the contacts, all that. No noticeable improvement, ever.

I have this memory that the "hot fix" is to install the starter from a 2F engine - that is, from a "1980 fj 60". Is that still the received wisdom/best plan? Is that a direct drive starter? Not really interested in messing with the wiring for a gear reduction starter, since it doesn't sound like the gear reduction isn't always an improvement in the cold.

I'm going to be doing a bunch of little "honeydew" projects on the truck over the next month, and this is on the list of things that I'd like to address.

Thanks!
Things have changed over the years with starters but a little over forty years ago I put a four pole GM starter on my 70 LC engine and never had a starting problem.
In 1984 the old six had a hundred eighty thousand on it when #2 piston collapsed.
I pulled the spark plugs and drove the Cruiser pulling a 16 foot travel trailer about a half mile up a fair grade with the starter motor.

I just upgraded to gear reduction starter on my 1970 and no change in wiring other than adding a 6-8” extension to the wire.

Thanks!
2f starter is easy to wire up! it is a great upgrade.

nsmwr.jpg

Grayscale

What??

If you use the starter itself to pump the engine, where will the gas and air mix go? I understand if the plugs are absent.

But, for using the starter for getting thru technical trail sections, I'd rather not have a pop and deformation at the seam in the muffler, or I don't understand why the motor won't fire, and hold an idle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom