F engine Identification Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to figure out what engine I have, the more I look into this the more confused I seem to get. My oil filter location is on the drivers side like a F engine but my block does not have the oil fill tube, it is cast into the block but not drilled out. The engine number is F 374210 the casting number on the block is 11108. I feel dumb asking this question but any guidance is much appreciated.

20220816_175310.jpg

Resized_20220819_071146.jpeg

Resized_20220818_184326.jpeg

Resized_20220818_184718.jpeg

If I'm reading the chart correctly (?) it looks like perhaps September 1971.

I am certainly not an FJ engine expert but yours has definitely had some major modifications. I have an F engine (production date 8/68). Your engine number appears to be a 9/71 production date F engine (not 2F). The oil filler tube is a big mystery to me. My FJ40 is all original equipment and configuration. It has been in the family since the dealership. Maybe the attached photos will help you solve your mystery.
IMG_2712.JPG
IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG

I am certainly not an FJ engine expert but yours has definitely had some major modifications. I have an F engine (production date 8/68). Your engine number appears to be a 9/71 production date F engine (not 2F). The oil filler tube is a big mystery to me. My FJ40 is all original equipment and configuration. It has been in the family since the dealership. Maybe the attached photos will help you solve your mystery.
View attachment 3091034View attachment 3091035View attachment 3091036
Thanks for the pictures as a reference. What is really throwing me off is the lack of the oil filler tube. I've searched F engine blocks but I haven't been able to find one that bypassed or didn't machine out the casting for the oil filler tube. It is very strange to me.

Thanks for the pictures as a reference. What is really throwing me off is the lack of the oil filler tube. I've searched F engine blocks but I haven't been able to find one that bypassed or didn't machine out the casting for the oil filler tube. It is very strange to me.
There are some real experts on this forum who have seen a lot of things done to FJ40s. Your valve cover is for a F155 engine which was introduced in 9/73. It is basically the same engine except the oil flow was changed (oil goes through filter before entering the engine). Your engine number would indicate a 9/71 production date. Toyota was frugal in the 60's and early 70's. Maybe they plugged the old F145 block when they converted to the F155. Maybe a FJ40 historian will know how the transition of the two engine models (F145 to F155) was executed by Toyota.

FYI, this is what a near undisturbed '72 F155 looks like (save for some hose clamps, the plastic later fan, new OEM plugs, wires and later ballast coil. You will see the filler boss not drilled and screw in filler location up front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom