F engine dies while rolling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'71 fj 40.
numbers on the engine block show it was made in 71.
i do not have much mechanical skill... trying to learn.

filled up the gas tank yesterday to go for a cruise.

about 30 mins in, engine quits running.
while rolling without power, i was able to start it again.

on the way home, it happened 2 more times and the last time, it would not start.

the engine cranks, and a few times it sputtered a bit, but couldn't get enough to get running.
my complete know-nothing opinion is that it wasn't getting fuel.
got towed home.

this morning, started right up, no prob.

any suggestions about what i should check or look into?

any help is greatly appreciated.

fuel filter, or
no venting on the gas tank or
something in the tank floating around that plugs the suction then floats away until it happens again

I'd start easy with the filter

Start with the fuel filter. Easy change. Report back. Oh, keep a fuel filter in your spare parts locker in the rig. May keep you from a tow home. Cheers

fuel filter, or
no venting on the gas tank or
something in the tank floating around that plugs the suction then floats away until it happens again

I'd start easy with the filter
thank you, filter ordered.
i hope that it don't have to progression down your suggestion list.

Does your carb have a sight glass on the side? How high is the fuel?

If you have a compressor, blow air through the line from the carb to the tank. Much resistance?

Does it do the same thing if the cap is loose?

If you have a compressor, blow air through the line from the carb to the tank. Much resistance?

How does the compressed air get past the two check valves in the fuel pump? :hmm:

Here's a few tips.
When you can, post up some pics of your 40. Outside, Inside, underneath, and most important under the hood. Several under the hood pics at various angles. The reason being, so many of these rigs have been altered by previous owners. Often major components get replaced with aftermarket ones with some that are decent upgrades and some that are not. A lot of the knowledgeable folks here are like detectives and with good picks they can make recommendations and help you so much better now and in the future. Good pics seem to encourage the gurus here to offer help. They are often busy and simply do not have time to spend asking a lot of questions so they can analyze your problems efficiently.

When you get a good idea of what you have, post up a good description in in your signature noting what is stock and what is not. With good pics, folks will point out things that are not stock which can help you with a good sig which will help you get help with your next request for help. HTH Good luck

i do not think that it does, but i will check at lunch today.

Here's a few tips.
When you can, post up some pics of your 40. Outside, Inside, underneath, and most important under the hood. Several under the hood pics at various angles. The reason being, so many of these rigs have been altered by previous owners. Often major components get replaced with aftermarket ones with some that are decent upgrades and some that are not. A lot of the knowledgeable folks here are like detectives and with good picks they can make recommendations and help you so much better now and in the future. Good pics seem to encourage the gurus here to offer help. They are often busy and simply do not have time to spend asking a lot of questions so they can analyze your problems efficiently.

When you get a good idea of what you have, post up a good description in in your signature noting what is stock and what is not. With good pics, folks will point out things that are not stock which can help you with a good sig which will help you get help with your next request for help. HTH Good luck
thank you for this suggestion.
i will take pics at lunch today and post them.
i have spent some effort cleaning up the engine, so hope to hear suggestions re: where to go from there.

pics of the engine.
f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f4.jpg
f9.jpg
f8.jpg
f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f4.jpg
f9.jpg
f8.jpg
f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f4.jpg
f9.jpg
f8.jpg

Nice pics. Good job. Looks like the stock carb which has the sight glass on the front. Not always easy to see and might need some cleaning or even a flashlight but you should be able to see the fuel level in the bowl. The normal bowl level should be close to halfway in the sight glass.

While you are waiting on your filters, and if you can get the problem to repeat, do not try to restart when it stalls out but rather have a look at the fuel level. If it looks empty, that will confirm that fuel delivery is the issue.

That's not a 71 carb. Here is info on what you have. Early 69 Carb Questions

Start with the fuel filter. Easy change. Report back. Oh, keep a fuel filter in your spare parts locker in the rig. May keep you from a tow home. Cheers
i am having the hardest time finding a filter with nipples on both ends like the one in the first pic.
the first filter i ordered had one threaded end.
the second filter (plastic) was too small for the lines and leaked.
i am going to order the filter with one nipple at a 90 degree angle and see if that fits, unless there is another recommendation.

also, under the seat, right off the tank, is what looks like another filter (second pic).
what is that?

filter 1.jpg

filter 2.jpg

That is a added on aftermarket filter. Possibly a Fram "3". Pretty dirty by the looks of it.
This would be a good after market from Wix found at most car parts places. You should replace both filters.

20210114_164956.jpg

20210114_165100.jpg

i am having the hardest time finding a filter with nipples on both ends like the one in the first pic.
the first filter i ordered had one threaded end.
the second filter (plastic) was too small for the lines and leaked.
i am going to order the filter with one nipple at a 90 degree angle and see if that fits, unless there is another recommendation.

also, under the seat, right off the tank, is what looks like another filter (second pic).
what is that?

View attachment 2553255

View attachment 2553256
WIX 3302, assuming it's 5/16 line (equivalent to the original toyota, which was likely metric).
Amazon product ASIN B000CSD28M
In the second picture (under the seat?), line looks AWFULL condition, and there are not clamps on it... Not good.

And that filter is dirty as !@#$.

Suggest replacing especially that filter. Wix filter listed is transparent (plastic) so you can see it get dirty. Use hose clamps. And consider replacing a lot of that fuel line. And, beware, once you pull that apart you're likely to have whatever gas is left in the tank run out that hose. General method would be to clamp the line from the tank, but that line looks like it's about to crack and fail, and it short... (clamp with needle nose vise grip, or the fancy pancy harbor frieght line clamps or similar)

Unfortunately, that filter is right off the tank, and is probably that dirty because the inside of the tank is rusty. Start by changing it and see how long it takes to get dirty.

There is a drain on the bottom of the tank, if original, I'm told. Beware of it being rusty and breaking off.

The other filter, metal one, under the hood, probably oughta replace also, you have no idea what's going on inside it. Could be nice and clean, with the first filter catching everything... Could be clogged, with a bunch of dirt that wasn't replaced before that filter inside was added.

And, beware, once you pull that apart you're likely to have whatever gas is left in the tank run out that hose. General method would be to clamp the line from the tank, but that line looks like it's about to crack and fail, and it short... (clamp with needle nose vise grip, or the fancy pancy harbor frieght line clamps or similar)

There is a drain on the bottom of the tank, if original, I'm told. Beware of it being rusty and breaking off.

i am very worried about the lines cracking if i clamp them.
the tank is pretty full.

thank you for the response!

i am very worried about the lines cracking if i clamp them.
the tank is pretty full.

thank you for the response!
If you're worried about the line cracking, you should replace it.

On my FJ40, that line is rubber from there through a hole in the tub (with a grommet) between the seats and then connects to a metal line under the tub which runs up the frame rail.

Easiest is probably to cut / pull apart the rubber line under it, somewhere that you can put something to catch it. And, remember gas is kinda volatile, and can melt some plastics... DOT approved gas can is probably safest.

Or, maybe easier, if it runs long enough, burn it in the engine. Next time it dies try just shaking that filter.

Or some of both.... (hard to find a gas can larger than 5 gallons)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom