F engine Clutch Styles?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious.....Ive got an 8/71 F motor Im putting into my 66 FJ40. Im adding a 4 speed to the engine, but dont know which way to go on the clutch. The older 3 finger style, or the newer diaphragm style.

Also....whats the benefit of placing the 3 speed transfer case with the 4 speed transmission? I did that swap about 25 years ago on my first FJ and only remember swapping out 2 gears.

I did a swap over the winter from a 3spd to a 4spd. I used my old flywheel and kept the 3 finger clutch. I used the bell housing, H42 and split transfer case from the 60 and everything works fine. The main difference between the two set ups are what flywheel, clutch and associated items like the clutch fork and slave cylinder. If your trying to save some money then run the old flywheel and such.
The main advantage of the 3spd transfer over the 4spd transfer is the gear ratio, basically you have a lower ratio in low range. If your running 4.11's and average size rubber then its a matter of perspective but unless your really deep in to crawling its not needed. If your running taller gears then you may need to gear down. Plenty of places to run the gear ratio numbers to see what your final ratio is based on your combination.
Here is a link to run the numbers to determine what your ratios would be based on your set up Gear Ratio Calculator - http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html.

I would go diaphragm style over 3 finger.....so much nicer to drive. I have built many more with 3 finger cause its what was stock in my restos. If I had stuff to do either......go diaphragm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom