F engine and 33's

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 73lndcrsr, Feb 13, 2003.

1. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr

I have searched the archives and can't find an anser to my question.

Can a healthy F (maybe slightly modified) pull the FJ40 with 33's with stock gearing on the highway? I don't have a problem in low range off road now even with 33's. If I go to 35's I assume I will need diff gears.
    My engine is tired and needs to be rebuilt. I am considering a 350 swap, but I am not sure I want to undertake that mod.

Thanks for any help here.

2. Design311

Design311

Yes it can. I have the F with stock gearing and 33" BFG Muds. I have no problems on the highway other than the wind resistance pulling me all over the damn road. I might suggest doing an HEI swap and maybe adding a header. That should get you by until you can gather everything you need for a 350 swap. I plan on running my F until it dies (no time soon) then I might consider a SBC swap. Good luck!

3. Slowerthanu

Slowerthanu

Albums:
    Yes, even a stock F can pull 33's (cant tell you how well, but my 2F pulled them fine for 4 years).

35's are iffy, depending on your altitude and what kind of wheeling you do, I only upgraded my gears because I wanted increased off road performance.

Do the V8, its a fun project and worth it if you take your time and do it correctly (Search and ask lots of questions).

Wow I just sold myself on a V8 swap. :eek:

4. wayne_fj40

wayne_fj40

Yes I would have to agree ,do the engine swap to the 350.Take you're time and go through it but It has taught me a lot and you find out just how creative you really are and when Its done you can say you did It. :D :D :D :D :D[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]

5. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr

Thanks for the info. :D

6. Halo3

Halo3

I have a '78 FJ40 with the stock 2F, 4 speed, & 4.10's in it, and it pushes my 33's down the road just fine. In fact, I can start out in second relatively easily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.