F***en FZJ80 Horns!!!! need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to replace the horns with some cool Wolo Maxi Sound twin horns. The issue is that after I installed them, my horns don't work anymore :mad::mad:. When I press the horn, all I hear is some click, click noise.

I first thought the horns were defective, or it was possible that I might have messed up the ground cables. So I hot wired the horns (Wolo Maxi) with a speaker cable & my drill battery (whalla, the horns almost left me deaf) it worked. :confused: I then, decided to wire back the stock one to see if it was going to work, and it fail to sound?.

By know I'm pretty sure that I might have blown a fuse or something?
Have any of you guys had this issue before when attempting to updgrade your horns?

I only see the Horn relay (inside engine bay behind the battery) how can I tell if is blown?

Are there any other fuses / relays I need to check? I called the Toyota Stealer and I was quoted $49.00 for a horn fuse?

Please give me some guidence as I'm hornless in LA

Makelo- check again and you'll find there's both a horn relay and a horn fuse. Not sure if the fuse goes to anything else, but for sure the horn is listed as one ofthe accessories on the fuse description. I'd bet it's the horn fuse which should be about 1/100 the cost of that relay (dealer must have been quoting for relay and not fuse). I believe it's a 15A blade fuse.

Sounds like a lot of pissin and moaning directed at your Cruiser, when it didn't do anything wrong <grin>. If I were your 80, I'd drop my hood on ya....

DougM

When I installed the hella supertones, I had to run a horn ground from the second blade terminal to the horn bracket, since there was only was wire from the OEM horn to begin with. Did u do this?

I put some Chevy horns in my 80... Now it doesn't sound like a Camry.

BTW, it still loves me. :D

If you hear clicking, then your relays are working and fuses to the relays are good. There might be a fuse between the relay and the horn, so look for that and also check your horn grounds.

Makelo- check again and you'll find there's both a horn relay and a horn fuse. Not sure if the fuse goes to anything else, but for sure the horn is listed as one ofthe accessories on the fuse description. I'd bet it's the horn fuse which should be about 1/100 the cost of that relay (dealer must have been quoting for relay and not fuse). I believe it's a 15A blade fuse.

Where's the horn fuse? I didn't see one on the engine bay nor on the driver side?

Makelo- It's in the same box as the horn relay. Just check the labels for "horn" or possibly an abbreviation (hrn?) and you'll find it. One spot is the horn relay, but the horn fuse is in there along with the other fuses (it may have other accessories listed with it on the label, as well). Should be a 15A blade fuse.

Thanks, Alaskacruiser, I pulled the relay, it look good, put it back and now the horns work :)
The only thing I noticed was that for the first 10 tries, every so often (like at each 3rd horn) I will see a bit of a spark come out from the plate that holds the horns to the rig frame (working as my ground) is it normal to spark every so often?

No, the spark is not normal and indicates you're got a bad ground. Remove the plate, scrape the metal clean underneath it, and remount. That should give you a good connection between the mounting plate and the chassis. It should both stop the sparking and make the horns operate more reliably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom