Extreme Dryer Tech: what caused this meltdown? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Fisher & Paykel dryer model DEGX1 (220v) that I recently replaced the sensor board, heating coils and thermostats in. It worked great for an hour - then stopped heating again. Tearing it back apart I found this. The good news is they are covering the parts under warranty. Luckily I had vacuumed all the lint out when I was in there, or I probably wouldn't have a house right now.

I'd still like to know what caused it so I'm not just throwing parts at the problem. My theory is the female spade plug was loose, which caused some arching, thus enough heat to fry it. Any other ideas?

dryer3.jpg

dryer1.jpg

dryer2.jpg

Last edited:
It does look like the spade connector shorted out on the dryer body there. That may be a recall safety defect, I would check it out. If it were me I would cut my losses and get something not made by Fisher Paykel. When I was shopping for appliances a few years ago all I heard were horror stories about Fisher Paykel appliances breaking down from every sales person I spoke with. If you Google Fisher Paykel recalls you will find they have had recalls on dryers and fridges in the past in AUS.

Unhappy owners venting. Consumer complaints about Fisher & Paykel

The new heater kit I installed was actually a "redesign", they had been having issues with the original. Before replacing, I had to manually reset the thermostat every month or so, which required removing the front panel.

I actually got the washer/dryer set free from a buddy who was tired of having to remove the panel to reset it. My solution was to put a 2 inch round hole in the front panel so I could hit the reset. So I don't mind putting some money into a $1600 set that I got free.

That the main wiring going into the dryer? I would re wire it with some different connectors.

That the main wiring going into the dryer? I would re wire it with some different connectors.

It's the wire that connected to the the large heating element (there are 2 elements). I'll definitely need a new spade connector, I just want to make sure the connector was the problem!

Most likely it was the connector making a bad connection and causing some resistance which turns to heart and a bad melting connector. Just keep a eye on it and make sure nothing is close to touching ground. Got a smoke detector above the dryer?

Crazy is dissecting a dryer at the laundromat now so that he can make an edumacated guess.

Fix it, flog it and then get yourself a Kenmore dryer from Sears. Our set, a gift from the parents nearly 17 years ago when we had our first kid, is still going strong - both the washer and the drier. Not sure if the quality is still the same. My father, who had his own appliance repair sevice would only buy Kenmore for our house and hoped everyone else bought some other brand. :)

Fix it, flog it and then get yourself a Kenmore dryer from Sears. Our set, a gift from the parents nearly 17 years ago when we had our first kid, is still going strong - both the washer and the drier. Not sure if the quality is still the same. My father, who had his own appliance repair sevice would only buy Kenmore for our house and hoped everyone else bought some other brand. :)

Funny, I'll never buy another Kenmore again, after the $1000 fridge I bought from Sears went tits up after 3 years. Not that I'll ever buy another Fisher & Paykel, but you can't argue with free. :beer:

Yes, brand quality can change, especially given that now most appliance production is outsourced by the brand. Some friends have now gone through 2 washer and dryer sets in less than 6 years. Both washer transmissions died within months of the warranty expiring. Personally, I would not buy new. We have a few good charity second hand stores which sell appliances cheap Their appliances are all given a good go over by their volunteer retired appliance repairmen. I picked up a used dishwasher from one for $50 over 5 years ago. The water pump just went out on it in Oct so I went down and got another one from them - still for only $50. After over $1800 spent on washers and dryers, my friends went this route because they just didn't have the $ for a new set. Two years later, their old used machines are still running fine. Most people have their washers and dryers tucked away out of site, so who cares if they look 1980s or 1990 vintage if they work. :beer:

just saw this post.
I had the same thing happen to me. A wire on my moms dryer went out, after thinking it was the heater core. The wire had a complete connection. I rewired and problem solved.

My theory was that something attached itself to the small bear portion of the wire and started the corrosion process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom