Extra Wires to Battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The previous owner of my rig installed a trailer brake as well as a wire in the cabin so he could plug in his electric razor and shave while driving to work. How do I figure out what wires need to be here and what I can get rid if?

LC Battery 1.jpg
LC Battery 2.jpg

I mean you could remove one wire at a time and see what stops working?

or get a multimeter to do some actual testing

or physically trace back each wire and see where it goes.

either way, my advice is to remove all after market wiring and fix it up properly (Eg fit a fuse panel etc)

Option #3: trace each wire back and find out where it goes.

The extra wires probably go straight through the rubber plug on the firewall, so should be easy to find inside the drivers side footwell. Once you figure out what extra things they're attached to, you can cut the wire there, pull it back into the engine bay, and disconnect from the battery terminal. One by one, you'll get it done.

Option #3: trace each wire back and find out where it goes.

The extra wires probably go straight through the rubber plug on the firewall, so should be easy to find inside the drivers side footwell. Once you figure out what extra things they're attached to, you can cut the wire there, pull it back into the engine bay, and disconnect from the battery terminal. One by one, you'll get it done.
I'd recommend disconnecting them from the battery before cutting and pulling back through the fire wall... less exciting that way, but at least you don't arc out the wire.
1620263525242.png

You need the fusible links, 3 wires; and the big one that goes to the starter. Everything else is suspect.
Is the trailer brake module still mounted? Isn't necessarily a bad thing to have if ever needed.

There are several better ways to clean that up.

Definitely need to get the stress off the critical wires that are shifted sideways and then pivot to a thorough interior vacuuming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom