Extra long H41, swapping gears into an H42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 82 bj42 with an H42. I'd like the lower gears of the H41. I was kind of on the fence about an H55 and still am so it will come down to dollars and cents and what the answer to this question is. I did managed to find an H41 pulled from an 89 bj70. The previous owner said it had an extra long bell housing and I assume the input shaft has to be longer as well. A little bit I research I think this was done so they could make it the same dimensions as the H55 so they could offer both the 4 speed and 5 speed with the same dimensions, I think. But this is based on the owner of the H41 telling me it had an extra long bellhousing. But he could also be mistaken. I don't think this is a direct swap for the H42. I know people on here have talked about swapping the guts of the H41 into the H42 case. So my question is does the input shaft from the H41 have to swap over to the H42? I'm not sure how the internals of this or much of any transmission are but I do believe a permant gear is attached to the end of the input shaft and likely a different gear between the H41 and h42?

I believe Input shafts are different on the two transmissions. The bellhousing is unlikely any different. The later model h42’s had an extension housing between the transmission and transfer case to give them the same dimensions as the h55f’s so this h41 may be similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom