Extra brake light on 8/92 up barn door 80's and compatibility on earlier year 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some replacement barn doors to go on my 80 now which gives me some spare parts and interchangability - they're from a later build to my existing ones so the bigger of the doors has the third brake light. I'm hoping it will just plug in to the wiring in place of the existing one and the brake light will just work....

I have not had any luck getting any new oldstock wiring harness assys as they're all NLA for the earlier years except for the fusible link assy's that were still avail a cpl of years ago.

How much of the basic wiring harnesses changed over the years of production? My 80 has a lot more wiring that is actually used since it has no power doors, windows, or mirrors, etc.

There were major wiring changes in late 92 (August IIRC). Wiring, as well as a lot of other parts, have totally different part numbers and multiple incompatibilities. That said, a brake light isn't complex. Even if there's no factory wiring for the brake light on your model, you only have to back off the light cluster that's right there at the door hinge to hook it up.

Also be aware, there are up to 5 "tiers" of some of the body wiring harnesses, the ones that run down the floor on each side in particular. I ended up swapping out most of the body wiring harnesses from my base model to higher ones so I could get central locking working. Again, not a problem for your brake light scenario, but if you plan to fit extra factory gizmos, it could become relevant in the future.

Ok so I've fitted both of the spare barn doors, and as I expected the extra brake light doesn't operate so I'm going to try and find where I can get the easiest brake light feed from (probably the wiring into the right side tail light) and run a simple twin-pair up to meet the connector inside the door where the extra light wires plug in.

The additional wires can just be wrapped around what's already coming out of the body.

Is there a 'recommended' way to link into the existing wiring at the tail light? I have some push-down scotchlock type fittings and that would work if I make sure to fully wrap the joint areas. Access to the wiring is very restricted.

I don't have or want central locking so that's not an issue.

I did have a look at the toyodiy lists for the wiring loom sections and yes there are a lot of versions for some of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom