External Fuel Injection Pump-Early Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently built, with the help of a friend, a 2F-EFI for a 75 FJ-40. I've driven it about 5,000 miles and it runs very well. The fuel injection is supplied by an external Mallory 4060FI fuel pump mounted to the frame just forward of the rear axel, slightly above the fuel tank outlet. The pump lifts fuel from the tank about 2 or 3 inches and puts out the necessary 38 to 42 psi to the injectors. The stock fuel tank is mounted inside beneath the passenger's seat. The fuel pump's electric motor (brushes) failed after about 80 hours of operation but I expected it to last for about 2,000 hours. I've replaced the pump with a second Mallory 4060FI while on a trip but suspect that it will fail early too. I'm about to install a different external pump but would really rather have an internal tank pump. I'm considering modifying (shortening) an 1992 FJ 80 fuel pump so that it will fit into a stock (modified) FJ 40 tank.

Do external fuel injection pumps work well and last a long time? Has anyone modified a stock FJ 40 tank to receive an internal pump? Do you know of anyone in the SF Bay Area who is considered an expert in fuel tank modifications?

Thanks

Terry

I'm considering the same, external fuel pumps run hot and there's no way to cool them, that is why all modern cars have it installed on the tank for better cooling and longevity.

What are you using for your fuel pressure regulator (FPR)? I'm running the OEM vacuum regulator from the 3FE I swapped in mine (you need the actuator), several others re-tapped the fuel rail and went with an aftermarket Aeromotive setup. If your FPR isn't recycling fuel back to the tank you will burn up the pump pretty quick -

Tucker

BTW: I'm running the Aeromotive 11109 (branded Airtex E2000) pump in the same configuration on mine.

1000000393.jpg

Last edited:
x2 on the return line. I just went through a fuel pump problem with another car. The fuel return line was obstructed. Most pumps are not designed to operate in a dead head situation. Pump overheating will result. I learned that it is important to test the fuel pressure at the carburator, TBI, direct injection system, whatever, to make sure it is receiving pressure within the recomended range.
Also this loop that is created by the return line keeps the fuel temp down at the pump.

pump should be below tank these pumps push fuel well. They do not pull fuel well at all.

I am using the factory or OEM fuel pressure regulator and I can hear the fuel returning to the tank, especially when the tank is low. The photo is a great help. I can see that the pump is mounted in the horizontal position and I had mine mounted in the vertical. That probably just made the situation worse.
I'll double check the return line though. I knew these pumps don't pull well and are really designed to push.
Thanks to all of you for your comments. This was my first attempt to use the forum and this web site. Very helpful.

I am using the e2000 pump with a dual tank valve in a fj40 with a stock underseat tank and a rear aux. tank. in the same mount location as in the pic. It works well, is a little loud. Feeds the 6.0 with proper pressure 55-58 and bumps up to 60 - 61 when you are on the gas. I saw a heat sink that goes on with hose clamps that is designed to try and cool but may just be not that effective. Although an aluminum fin style sink against the steel housing with good contact would probably be fairly effective.

I used the Walbro 255 pump with my TPI 350, no issues so far and it's pretty quiet, too. I do need to get a spare, though. Things get real quiet when they stop working !!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom