Extending a Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to start my next project this fall, its a 73 fj40. I want to extend the wheelbase to make sort of a rubicon like fj, probally 12-18" of added length. Has anybody done this, if so post a link or some pics. Thanks in advance!

I'm going to start my next project this fall, its a 73 fj40. I want to extend the wheelbase to make sort of a rubicon like fj, probally 12-18" of added length. Has anybody done this, if so post a link or some pics. Thanks in advance!

Are you looking to extend the frame, or extend the WB? A WB extension can be done several ways; shackle reversal will give you another couple inches up front, moving to 55 springs will give you another couple of inches in the rear, moving the rear spring hangars can give you several more inches as well.

I extended my wheel base with a combo of SR & moving the rear spring hangers, got me to ~100" of WB, without requiring modifications to the frame itself.

There are a couple of threads in the hardcore section on extending frames on a 40.

Bama,
Thats what I had in mind, but a bit longer. I want to be able to haul 4 people and 2 dogs. Great link. Wish he had some pics of the hardtop fab though. I have the frame blasted and a scout ps box installed and a good donor tub. Already have done the shackle resv, and soa, flipped the front springs and added the frame exts to the front. How much longer are the 60 springs?

Why not just get a 45? Or a pig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom