Extended warranty for a '00 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
Bought my '00 cruiser from a Nissan dealership. It has 46K miles today and they are offering an extended warranty through Nissan (which for some reason will cover Toyota) for approx $1900. It's a 4 years/48000 miles plan. Seems pretty comprehensive. Should I buy it?

Thanks!

i would bet that in the next 48000 miles all you have to do is preventative maintenance. If you are really feeling a reason to lighten your wallet by $1900 I could send you my address. :)

Seriously, these things are pretty reliable...

I got a certified used vehicle warranty for my LX450. So far they have fixed/replaced:

- 4 new Michelin LTX tires (required to meet initial certification)
- replace pads AND rotors (required to meet initial certification)
- replace rear main seal
- replace radiator + fan clutch
- fix windshield washer
- replace 02 sensor
- replace + repack birfs

Not sure if that adds up to $1900, but I''ve heard of 3 year / 36k extended warranties for $1200 and for the non-mechanically-inclined like me, it is peace of mind.

and if it's the Toyota certified, IIRC it only covers the drivetrain, nothing else. You can get extra ones though. In some posts where the certification was discussed, about 4 months ago IIRC, somebody mentioned it costs the dealership (much?) less than $1,000 to get it.
Anyway, it is a matter of how much you value your piece of mind.
Btw, there was a post just recently where somebody mentioned that they were giving him a hard time to do stuff that is normally covered...
E

Just like purchasing the vehicle, the cost of an extended warranty is negotiable. There are different levels of coverage also dependent on price. A few years ago on the 80’s Cool list there was a “group buy” for the Toyota Gold warranty that provided the best coverage on a used vehicle up to 100,000 miles. The cost was around $1100. You can also buy the same type of coverage from an independent company like Warranty Gold, just be aware of the conditions that must be met and what exactly is covered and what deductibles must be paid. The other concerns are who can do the repairs, do they need to be authorized in advance, what happens when you breakdown in the middle of nowhere will they allow Bubba to fix it or will they cover the cost of towing to a certified repair facility.

To answer your specific question $1900 is highway robbery!

It's insurance. The $1,900 premium sounds kinda high for the riisk; with the risk being one of the most reliable vehicles made would have a (covered!) problem that'd cost you $1,900 to remedy. Now, if the premium was lower... So, between $0 and $1,900, there should be a cost that would be acceptable to most folks. Mine would be closer to $0.

Assuming you take care of the LC, by 94k miles, it will be barely broken in. My Elsie has 102k miles, and runs like a sewing machine. I expect her to keep it up for many miles to come. :)

Isn't the 2000-2001 model that have potential defect in the tranny washer that cause self destruct in a fairly low mileage vehicle?
I tried to search but could not find it. It was posted by somebody that have an FJ55 powered with 4.7 V8 engine and he worked at lexus dealer.
The premium sounds really high though. Shop around and compare the coverage carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom