Extended caliper brake hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you're talking about the one that drops from the chassis down to the axle there is a NAPA part number that works great, it's for another toyota (mini truck i think) i can't recall exactly which one. search for the 4runner brake upgrade threads it'll be listed in one of those.

the hose that actually goes from the axle hard line to the caliper doesn't need to be longer... right?

if you're talking about the one that drops from the chassis down to the axle there is a NAPA part number that works great, it's for another toyota (mini truck i think) i can't recall exactly which one. search for the 4runner brake upgrade threads it'll be listed in one of those.

the hose that actually goes from the axle hard line to the caliper doesn't need to be longer... right?

I AM talking about replacing the hard line to the caliper... making it soft and longer makes pulling off the caliper a lot easier (servicing brakes or knuckles, changing birfields etc)

Thanks... I tried to search and couldn't come up with the right search terms I guess...

Napa # 38881 is what I used. Cutting your backing plates as well?

Last edited:
Just ordered from Napa...

Cut backing plates...? Why? To reduce the possibility of trapped crap? I don't think so.

As a matter of fact I think I'm going to be switching to a set of complete FJ62 knuckle assemblies I have here because one of the threaded holes that the caliper bolts to on the driver's side of my original knuckle housing is partially stripped. It won't really tighten down tight.

I need to replace the seal and knuckle ball seal/wiper at the same time (I'll be installing my new-to-me Longfields at the same time too!)

Mark

Just ordered from Napa...

Cut backing plates...? Why? To reduce the possibility of trapped crap? I don't think so.

As a matter of fact I think I'm going to be switching to a set of complete FJ62 knuckle assemblies I have here because one of the threaded holes that the caliper bolts to on the driver's side of my original knuckle housing is partially stripped. It won't really tighten down tight.

I need to replace the seal and knuckle ball seal/wiper at the same time (I'll be installing my new-to-me Longfields at the same time too!)

Mark

Mine were rotted and I didn't feel like cutting off the union, so I zipped around the whole thing and made it into a spacer.

The soft line that goes from the frame to the front axle housing is a perfect replacement for the hardline that goes from the knuckle to the caliper.

Bringing this thread back to life because I was just in there today...

Please explain what you said... I wanted to replace the hard line from the knuckle to the caliper AND the soft line that goes to the knuckle... (all to make getting in to the birfield easier - getting the caliper and backing plate off and out of the way)

The hard line is male/male, the soft is female/male... are you saying I should use just the 1 longer NAPA line instead of the 2 OEM hard and soft lines? DOH... that is what Johnny etc said earlier in this thread... I see now.

Last edited:
Napa # 38884 is what I used. Cutting your backing plates as well?

So...I know little about brake fittings so bear with me.

I ordered these from Napa and they have a banjo fitting on the end. Is there another part I'd need to make them work? Like an adaptor or something. The stock hard line just screws in.

So...I know little about brake fittings so bear with me.

I ordered these from Napa and they have a banjo fitting on the end. Is there another part I'd need to make them work? Like an adaptor or something. The stock hard line just screws in.

My interest apologies, but I made a mistake. I used NAPA part number 38881 and
had to check the reference in my rotw thread. I fixed my post in this thread with the correct part #.

You should be able to exchange the two lines if you have the receipt!

Last edited:
My interest apologies, but I made a mistake. I used NAPA part number 38881 and
had to check the reference in my rotw thread. I fixed my post in this thread with the correct part #.

You should be able to exchange the two lines if you have the receipt!

No worries. I didn't buy them when I saw the banjo fitting. I knew something was wrong. It was you! :flipoff2:

Bringing this thread back to life because I was just in there today...

Please explain what you said... I wanted to replace the hard line from the knuckle to the caliper AND the soft line that goes to the knuckle... (all to make getting in to the birfield easier - getting the caliper and backing plate off and out of the way)

The hard line is male/male, the soft is female/male... are you saying I should use just the 1 longer NAPA line instead of the 2 OEM hard and soft lines? DOH... that is what Johnny etc said earlier in this thread... I see now.

I got tired of breaking those stupid hard lines. I discovered that the soft line from the frame down to the front axle housing is just the right length to use in place of the short soft line and the hard line on the knuckle. That way you go directly from the hard line on the axle housing right to the threaded hole on the caliper. Clean and easy.

I got tired of breaking those stupid hard lines. I discovered that the soft line from the frame down to the front axle housing is just the right length to use in place of the short soft line and the hard line on the knuckle. That way you go directly from the hard line on the axle housing right to the threaded hole on the caliper. Clean and easy.

That's exactly what the NAPA 38881 line is for. Cheap too

Low stock

called my local NAPA and there are no 38881's in the DFW metroplex. According to him, manufacturer has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom