Extended Brake Lines - Yes, I searched (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched, and the only options I found were:

Slee 4" longer SS lines for $99.00

MAF 3" longer SS lines for $89.95

What other options are there? There was talk on several threads about using rubber lines that were longer from some other application - but I couldn't find where anyone actually said what the application was. Anyone?

CDan passed along using Taco rear brake line as a good sub. I used one on my 91 and it works fine. No bling like the SS braded but it works. I think it was from a 2000 model year. PM CDan if you need to cost is cheap compaired to SS.

Walking Eagle said:
I searched, and the only options I found were:

Slee 4" longer SS lines for $99.00

MAF 3" longer SS lines for $89.95

What other options are there? There was talk on several threads about using rubber lines that were longer from some other application - but I couldn't find where anyone actually said what the application was. Anyone?

Get the Slee lines. They are super slick and will work with almost any lift AFAIK. HTH. :cheers:

If you really want rubber one, youy could go to either Napa or Carquest and set with the parts guy and source the current ones then find one that is longer. I do not have the part numbers any more, but that is what we did a long time ago before the SS lines were got at slee. later robbie

powderpig said:
If you really want rubber one, youy could go to either Napa or Carquest and set with the parts guy and source the current ones then find one that is longer. I do not have the part numbers any more, but that is what we did a long time ago before the SS lines were got at slee. later robbie

rant on....

I tried that with the rear line on my 40 - didn't work out too well. The parts guys are pretty worthless around here. You have two choices, come in with a make, model and year, or come in with a part #. Half the time, the guy behind the counter can't figure out how to go by part #.

I went in one time asking for a GM one-wire alternator - pretty common deal right? All I got was a dumb look. Finally one of the older guys heard and said, "Let me show you, whenever someone comes in asking for that, this is the part."

rant off...

I feel much better now....

From the OME install page on the site.

"The brake lines are too short. The rear can be replaced with a standard brake line from CarQuest. SP7037 or SP8780. These are direct bolt in's with the latter part number being about 4" longer. There are also a number of vendors currently that offer stainless DOT approved extended lines."

sleeoffroad said:
From the OME install page on the site.

"The brake lines are too short. The rear can be replaced with a standard brake line from CarQuest. SP7037 or SP8780. These are direct bolt in's with the latter part number being about 4" longer. There are also a number of vendors currently that offer stainless DOT approved extended lines."

Thanks Christo. Is there a non-stainless option on the front?

And to be a real pain in the butt, what model are they off of? The closest car quest is 70 miles from here.

Last edited:
Walking Eagle said:
Thanks Christo. Is there a non-stainless option on the front?

And to be a real pain in the butt, what model are they off of? The closest car quest is 70 miles from here.

Why wouldya want a specifically non stainless line? I'm tellin ya, get the Slee lines you wont regret it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

turbocruiser said:
Why wouldya want a specifically non stainless line? I'm tellin ya, get the Slee lines you wont regret it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well, I've run stainless lines on other vehicles and I don't have anything against them other than they're pricey. It'd also be nice to know what I can get locally if I have problems. If I could get rubber locally for 30-40 bucks a set and save shipping, and be able to pick them up the day I need them, maybe it'd be worth it. If they're 60-70 locally, and I have to wait for special order, then that's not as worth it.

I may end up getting Slee lines, just like to know all the options before I make a $100.00 decision. I'm sure for that I'll get from someone "If you can't afford $100.00 get rid of your 80", which really isn't the point.

I bought the SS braided lines from MAF, but I also wanted SS lines for the calipers, and couldn't find any. So I went to a race shop in Reseda and had them made, I took in the old rubber lines and they made the same lengths. I think it cost about $50 or so for the pair. They could have easily made the two I bought from MAF for about the same money. Huge difference in pedal feel.

Napa Hoses

I went into NAPA many months ago and spent some time with their brakelines book. I'm running Js with 1.5" spacers and L shocks and have had no issues.

Here's what I found:
(Part No., Length Note: there were two brands offered for each part number)

LEFT FRONT HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38796 17-3/16” STOCK
38329 20-3/4”
38794 19-3/8”
38795 20-1/8”

RIGHT FRONT HOSE REPLACEMENT:
380231 11-1/8” STOCK
38790 15-1/4”
380163 14-3/4”

REAR HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38927 13-1/2” STOCK
380535 18-1/2”

While the store I was at didn't have all of these part numbers in stock, I was able to order all three hoses at once, online: www.napaonline.com

To find the two different brands, try the part no in both the "Napa Part No." Search and the "non-Napa Part No." Search.

Mike

Last edited:
Hondo said:
38796 17-3/16” STOCK
38329 20-3/4”
38794 19-3/8”
38795 20-1/8” $23.49

380231 11-1/8” STOCK
38790 15-1/4”
380163 14-3/4” $15.49

REAR HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38927 13-1/2” STOCK
380535 18-1/2” $31.49

Thanks Mike - I knew someone must have done the leg work. I checked prices, $70.47 for all three of the lines. A bit of a savings, not sure if it's enough to not just get the stainless lines - but at least now I have the information to make an informed decision. Plus, I can put all these #'s in my owners manual an have them if anything ever happens if I damage a hose and need something quick. Thanks!

Heath

I used steel braided lines for a little while. I tore three of them off in brush in a year. Prior to using the braided steel lines I never had a problem with this when using the OEM rubber lines. After I went back to the OEMN rubber lines I never had the problem again. There was nothing unusual about the conditions that the braided steel lines were exposed to. They all tore out of the end fittings. *Might* have been just pure bad luck and coincidence. But I am not a big believer in coincidence. :(

Mark...

Mark W said:
I used steel braided lines for a little while. I tore three of them off in brush in a year. Prior to using the braided steel lines I never had a problem with this when using the OEM rubber lines. After I went back to the OEMN rubber lines I never had the problem again. There was nothing unusual about the conditions that the braided steel lines were exposed to. They all tore out of the end fittings. *Might* have been just pure bad luck and coincidence. But I am not a big believer in coincidence. :(.

I don't know about the MAF lines, but the Slee ones have a coating around the steel braid so most likely what ever problem you had (since you seemed to have forgotten that part) won't happen. I'm assuming yours started to break down/leak?

Hondo said:
I went into NAPA many months ago and spent some time with their brakelines book. I'm running Js with 1.5" spacers and L shocks and have had no issues.

Here's what I found:
(Part No., Length Note: there were two brands offered for each part number)

38796 17-3/16” STOCK
38329 20-3/4”
38794 19-3/8”
38795 20-1/8”

380231 11-1/8” STOCK
38790 15-1/4”
380163 14-3/4”

REAR HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38927 13-1/2” STOCK
380535 18-1/2”

While the store I was at didn't have all of these part numbers in stock, I was able to order all three hoses at once, online: www.napaonline.com

To find the two different brands, try the part no in both the "Napa Part No." Search and the "non-Napa Part No." Search.

Mike
Nice work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom