Extended Brake Lines - Yes, I searched (1 Viewer)

Joined
Sep 6, 2003
Messages
3,185
Location
Tulsa, OK
I searched, and the only options I found were:

Slee 4" longer SS lines for $99.00

MAF 3" longer SS lines for $89.95


What other options are there? There was talk on several threads about using rubber lines that were longer from some other application - but I couldn't find where anyone actually said what the application was. Anyone?
 
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
1,576
Location
MN physically, MI spiritually
CDan passed along using Taco rear brake line as a good sub. I used one on my 91 and it works fine. No bling like the SS braded but it works. I think it was from a 2000 model year. PM CDan if you need to cost is cheap compaired to SS.
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
Walking Eagle said:
I searched, and the only options I found were:

Slee 4" longer SS lines for $99.00

MAF 3" longer SS lines for $89.95


What other options are there? There was talk on several threads about using rubber lines that were longer from some other application - but I couldn't find where anyone actually said what the application was. Anyone?



Get the Slee lines. They are super slick and will work with almost any lift AFAIK. HTH. :cheers:
 

powderpig

SILVER Star
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
1,027
Location
Boulder Foothills, CO
If you really want rubber one, youy could go to either Napa or Carquest and set with the parts guy and source the current ones then find one that is longer. I do not have the part numbers any more, but that is what we did a long time ago before the SS lines were got at slee. later robbie
 
Joined
Sep 6, 2003
Messages
3,185
Location
Tulsa, OK
powderpig said:
If you really want rubber one, youy could go to either Napa or Carquest and set with the parts guy and source the current ones then find one that is longer. I do not have the part numbers any more, but that is what we did a long time ago before the SS lines were got at slee. later robbie

rant on....

I tried that with the rear line on my 40 - didn't work out too well. The parts guys are pretty worthless around here. You have two choices, come in with a make, model and year, or come in with a part #. Half the time, the guy behind the counter can't figure out how to go by part #.

I went in one time asking for a GM one-wire alternator - pretty common deal right? All I got was a dumb look. Finally one of the older guys heard and said, "Let me show you, whenever someone comes in asking for that, this is the part."

rant off...

I feel much better now....
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
6,333
From the OME install page on the site.

"The brake lines are too short. The rear can be replaced with a standard brake line from CarQuest. SP7037 or SP8780. These are direct bolt in's with the latter part number being about 4" longer. There are also a number of vendors currently that offer stainless DOT approved extended lines."
 
Joined
Sep 6, 2003
Messages
3,185
Location
Tulsa, OK
sleeoffroad said:
From the OME install page on the site.

"The brake lines are too short. The rear can be replaced with a standard brake line from CarQuest. SP7037 or SP8780. These are direct bolt in's with the latter part number being about 4" longer. There are also a number of vendors currently that offer stainless DOT approved extended lines."

Thanks Christo. Is there a non-stainless option on the front?

And to be a real pain in the butt, what model are they off of? The closest car quest is 70 miles from here.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
Walking Eagle said:
Thanks Christo. Is there a non-stainless option on the front?

And to be a real pain in the butt, what model are they off of? The closest car quest is 70 miles from here.


Why wouldya want a specifically non stainless line? I'm tellin ya, get the Slee lines you wont regret it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
6,333
Walking Eagle said:
Thanks Christo. Is there a non-stainless option on the front?

And to be a real pain in the butt, what model are they off of? The closest car quest is 70 miles from here.

Never found ones for the front. As to what they came off. No idea.
 
Joined
Sep 6, 2003
Messages
3,185
Location
Tulsa, OK
turbocruiser said:
Why wouldya want a specifically non stainless line? I'm tellin ya, get the Slee lines you wont regret it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well, I've run stainless lines on other vehicles and I don't have anything against them other than they're pricey. It'd also be nice to know what I can get locally if I have problems. If I could get rubber locally for 30-40 bucks a set and save shipping, and be able to pick them up the day I need them, maybe it'd be worth it. If they're 60-70 locally, and I have to wait for special order, then that's not as worth it.

I may end up getting Slee lines, just like to know all the options before I make a $100.00 decision. I'm sure for that I'll get from someone "If you can't afford $100.00 get rid of your 80", which really isn't the point.
 
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
873
Location
Los Angeles
I bought the SS braided lines from MAF, but I also wanted SS lines for the calipers, and couldn't find any. So I went to a race shop in Reseda and had them made, I took in the old rubber lines and they made the same lengths. I think it cost about $50 or so for the pair. They could have easily made the two I bought from MAF for about the same money. Huge difference in pedal feel.
 
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
330
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Napa Hoses

I went into NAPA many months ago and spent some time with their brakelines book. I'm running Js with 1.5" spacers and L shocks and have had no issues.

Here's what I found:
(Part No., Length Note: there were two brands offered for each part number)

LEFT FRONT HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38796 17-3/16” STOCK
38329 20-3/4”
38794 19-3/8”
38795 20-1/8”


RIGHT FRONT HOSE REPLACEMENT:
380231 11-1/8” STOCK
38790 15-1/4”
380163 14-3/4”


REAR HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38927 13-1/2” STOCK
380535 18-1/2”


While the store I was at didn't have all of these part numbers in stock, I was able to order all three hoses at once, online: www.napaonline.com

To find the two different brands, try the part no in both the "Napa Part No." Search and the "non-Napa Part No." Search.


Mike
 
Last edited:
Joined
Sep 6, 2003
Messages
3,185
Location
Tulsa, OK
Hondo said:
RIGHT FRONT HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38796 17-3/16” STOCK
38329 20-3/4”
38794 19-3/8”
38795 20-1/8” $23.49


RIGHT FRONT HOSE REPLACEMENT:
380231 11-1/8” STOCK
38790 15-1/4”
380163 14-3/4” $15.49


REAR HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38927 13-1/2” STOCK
380535 18-1/2” $31.49

Thanks Mike - I knew someone must have done the leg work. I checked prices, $70.47 for all three of the lines. A bit of a savings, not sure if it's enough to not just get the stainless lines - but at least now I have the information to make an informed decision. Plus, I can put all these #'s in my owners manual an have them if anything ever happens if I damage a hose and need something quick. Thanks!

Heath
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,502
Location
The Greatland
I used steel braided lines for a little while. I tore three of them off in brush in a year. Prior to using the braided steel lines I never had a problem with this when using the OEM rubber lines. After I went back to the OEMN rubber lines I never had the problem again. There was nothing unusual about the conditions that the braided steel lines were exposed to. They all tore out of the end fittings. *Might* have been just pure bad luck and coincidence. But I am not a big believer in coincidence. :(


Mark...
 
Joined
Oct 8, 2003
Messages
1,966
Location
Z.O.W.I.E. Headquarters
Mark W said:
I used steel braided lines for a little while. I tore three of them off in brush in a year. Prior to using the braided steel lines I never had a problem with this when using the OEM rubber lines. After I went back to the OEMN rubber lines I never had the problem again. There was nothing unusual about the conditions that the braided steel lines were exposed to. They all tore out of the end fittings. *Might* have been just pure bad luck and coincidence. But I am not a big believer in coincidence. :(.


I don't know about the MAF lines, but the Slee ones have a coating around the steel braid so most likely what ever problem you had (since you seemed to have forgotten that part) won't happen. I'm assuming yours started to break down/leak?
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
5,698
Location
Camas, WA USA
Hondo said:
I went into NAPA many months ago and spent some time with their brakelines book. I'm running Js with 1.5" spacers and L shocks and have had no issues.

Here's what I found:
(Part No., Length Note: there were two brands offered for each part number)

RIGHT FRONT HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38796 17-3/16” STOCK
38329 20-3/4”
38794 19-3/8”
38795 20-1/8”


RIGHT FRONT HOSE REPLACEMENT:
380231 11-1/8” STOCK
38790 15-1/4”
380163 14-3/4”


REAR HOSE REPLACEMENT:
38927 13-1/2” STOCK
380535 18-1/2”


While the store I was at didn't have all of these part numbers in stock, I was able to order all three hoses at once, online: www.napaonline.com

To find the two different brands, try the part no in both the "Napa Part No." Search and the "non-Napa Part No." Search.


Mike
Nice work!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom