1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Brake Lines/ Shackle reversal

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by alpendubber, Aug 23, 2006.

1. alpendubber

alpendubber

Does anyone know where I can get some extended brake lines other than MAF?

Also, for the those who have done the shackle reversal. I have heard two different methods of mounting(MAF kit via ebay). First method is leaving the springs in the same direction as stock and just installing the kit. Second, is to actually reverse the spring entirely and bolt up.

Any suggetions would be much appreciated.

2. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

when I install my SR kit from MAF .. I never flip the spring pack .. I instaill in the same traditional way

3. alpendubber

alpendubber

Tapage, did you have driveline probs? I read some other threads, and it seems like some have problems and some do not. I saw the pic of your rig before SOA. Looks Good

4. alpendubber

alpendubber

5. S&S1stCruzer

S&S1stCruzer

I bought the MAF S/r kit springs and all, and installed them with wrap to the rear per MAF instructions but it wouldn't be the first time I've be miss lead.

Give them call or Give Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters a call and see what he says and let the rest of know.

6. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Thanks dude ..

No I have no issues with OME 2.5 Heavy and SR kit in my drivetrain. I need no drive shaft mods with this setup.

7. mrsvle

mrsvle

After I installed my IronMan Suspension I upgraded my brake lines with extended braided stainless steel lines from Specter Off-Road. I'll try to remember to snap a picture of these tonight. I'll also snap some pics of the shackles, etc, since it appears several people are installing these kits and its not always clear the orientation of the shackles or military wrap. Matt

8. exrsa1

exrsa1

There was a company that sold extension brake lines. Meaning that you do not replace the existing one, but undo it at the axle connection, add this extension, then attach to axle side again. I have these on my Fj40 after I did the 4" lift. Anyone know who sold those? It was way cheaper, although I am not sure if it was DOT approved.

On the MAF shackle reversal, on the 40, the springs switched around, in other words the side that was attached to the shackle, is still connected to the shackle, just on the back side.

9. alpendubber

alpendubber

mrsvle,

I have already installed the springs weeks ago, they ride great after giving them a hard break in. I was originally asking about the shackle reversal. Thanks for the info though.

exrsa1,

That is my understanding, that the front of the spring now will move with the shackle to the rear. Did you take a look at the pirate link I posted above....This set-up is what I am going with. Ironman 2.5" with old style MAF SR. He has the springs in the normal direction, do you think he has done it wrong?

Just talked with Freddy at MAF, he said that the spring should be reversed, putting the military wrap end in the front.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  10. Cruzerman

Cruzerman

11. Dirtgypsy

Dirtgypsy

I have been running my SR from MAF for about 2 months now. I ran my military wrap to the front per MAF recomendations. Also correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that the non military wrap end is designed to flex a bit with the shackle when the axle is articulating. Same as the rear.

clint

12. alpendubber

alpendubber

clint,

I agree, I am going to go ahead and mount mine the same as yours. What springs are you running?

13. exrsa1

exrsa1

Here's what I understood of the MAF reversal kit when I did it on the 40. Due to the front slant design, the axle would move back from it's original position, if you kept the springs facing the same way. By flipping the spring, the center point of the axle moves back very close to where it was before. I can't see that thread on pirate for some reason.

The shackle reversal also adds 1.5 inches of lift, so in a 4" lift you would use 2.5 inch springs for the front and 4" for the back, to get a nice even lift. With the Ironman sitting somewhat butt high, the SR may just even it out.

Anyways, good luck, and post some pics!

14. alpendubber

alpendubber

Thanks for the info. I will take some pics before and after. It may be a couple of weeks.

15. exrsa1

exrsa1

Alpen, I was talking to man-a-Fre today and whilst on the phone asked about the SR for 60's. According to him, on the 55 and 60, the spring is not flipped around like on the 40.

16. lcwrench

lcwrench

The reason you would flip the spring on FJ40's is that there is a short leg and a long leg from the eye to the center pin and you want the long flexible leg at the shackle end and the shorter stiffer leg at the fixed pin. FJ60 springs are symetrical (or should be depending on manufacturer) so the only consideration is the military wrap, which is normally at the fixed pin, not the shackle.

17. alpendubber

alpendubber

So, this has become really confusing. If the springs according to MAF should not be reversed then how does the Military wrap end up in the front?

18. Shinichi

Shinichi

I am getting ready to do the same kit. Got to get a look at yours.

19. lcwrench

lcwrench

Not trying to confuse you. What I am saying is that if you don't put the military wrap at the fixed pin, it's really not critical like it would be on a FJ40. I personally did put the military wrap on the fixed pin on my 60 because this is where it normally is and IMHO where it should be. I'll talk to Freddie and make sure he understands this a little better. Sorry for the confusion

20. alpendubber

alpendubber

No problem, I will go ahead and mount them the way you suggest. I am using a friends bay at the Audi shop he works at, it's like a one shot deal so I wanted to do it right the first go around. Thanks for the info.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">