Extended brake lines aren't going on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
May 21, 2012
Threads
14
Messages
153
Location
San Diego
So I just got slee's extended brake lines and they look awesome I jumped in to change them out and right away I ran into a problem. I get female end connected and go to connect the other side and it will just not mate up. I finally got it after an hour of struggling. Now I'm on the rear and same problem male end easily threads on but the female just won't mate up... I'm super frustrated and my car is in the drive way With brake fluid slowly leaking out of my plug. I'm thinking of going to somewhere to get a nut to try to rethread the male hardline and make it easier. But I don't know I need help... Please tell me if you had this problem and how you got around it I tried everything that I can think of. I'm so over it that I'm thinking of getting a New hard line just to make it work. But rather not go this route.

Thanks!!
 
I recently replaced all my factory rubber hoses with Slee's SS hoses.

Tips:
1) Remove old hoses.
2) Make sure the male fitting can spin with your fingers before you attempt to assemble anything. It should be able to spin and slide back and forth at least 1/4" (1/2" would be better) over the existing hard line.
3) Let the brake fluid drip onto the fitting to help clean it and "lubricate" it.
4) Assemble everything before tightening anything.
5) Tighten all fittings.
6) Install the retaining clips.

I had one hose (RF) that took me a long time to get assembled. I ended up removing the secondary hard line, then assembling it all and then tightening after the fact. I had one male fitting that was oxidized under the fitting, so I used a wrench to spin it on the hard line over and over as the brake fluid dripped out of it and would wash away the grit and oxidation. Eventually I got it so it would spin freely and I could do the assembly step.

Good Luck!
 
I'm glad I'm not the only one! But my main problem was removing the original lines after 20 years of corrosion. The rest of it just took a good bit of futzing. Can't remember what those issues might have been - sorry.

Good luck on the bleed. Remember the LPSV.
 
Yeah they are all spinning freely just won't thread in I thing the threads are corroded and is blocking it. Glad to know I'm not the only one with brake line problems.
 
Same here, had this problem the other day as well. I think my issue was caused the the nut being over torqued which flared the male end (of the hard line) out. Took me about 1 1/2 hour to get the front driver's side on. Had to push really hard but finally got it.
 
Hmmm I wonder if I could declare the hose... Sound like I would pinch the hose... Only thing is as soon as I push really hard it wants to cross thread I guess it will just take lots of time and efffort And brake fluid good thing it's cheap
 
I just remembered one thing due to SUMMIT CRUISERS post: On the one I was having trouble with, the flare had been over tightened at some point and it smashed the flared portion out more. I used a small file and removed the outer lip of the flare so it would insert into the new hose. The flare was too big for the hole. Make sure you file one direction only, AWAY from the inside of the pipe.
 
Same problem here. Replacing these was the most frustrating maintenance I've done. I still haven't installed the axle to frame line on the front left side. There's no room up there to work a flare wrench. It was suggested to me to file the flares to get them mated up easier but only after replacing 6 of 7 lines. It's not a bad idea to get new hard lines. You can get most of the easily reachable OEM hard lines from @beno for around $100.
 
Yeah crap I got the rear one but then I rounded off the brake line that your talking about and have no idea where to go from here kinda screwd might grind all down and make it a smaller size but right now I don't know just ghettoly bent my lines so it's 2 inches longer or so
 
I just installed mine, literally 20 minutes ago, I purchased the frame to axle extensions. I had a small issue on the PS front frame to axle, the hard line wouldnt entert the softline enough to start grabbing the thread.. I used some pliers and pushed the fitting further in until it finally grabbed. The rear took me a little longer getting the locking tab to go on. I ended up using the old one instead. Other than those issues it took me roughly 45 minutes to do all 3 lines.
 
I just remembered one thing due to SUMMIT CRUISERS post: On the one I was having trouble with, the flare had been over tightened at some point and it smashed the flared portion out more. I used a small file and removed the outer lip of the flare so it would insert into the new hose. The flare was too big for the hole. Make sure you file one direction only, AWAY from the inside of the pipe.


Yup, common problem- compression causes a flaring, lightly file on the sides not the sealing surface and take care not to get filings where they shouldn't be. The bleeding process should take care of what you miss.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom