Exploring FR before Ranch 51 - Jan 4, 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saddletramp

GOLD Star
Threads
Well I for one am starting to feel better and am up for a short day trip tomorrow. I heard several of us comment as we passed a road just prior to Ranch51 (FR 597 to FR 560 I think) last week on the Red Creek run and talked about going back.

I am planning to meet at the same meeting place, Pinacle Peak General Store at Pinacle Peak and Pima road (South West corner gas station is behind the store), Departing at 0900. If you need to gas up please arrive early so we don't hold up the group, I'm being optimistic.

This is an in and out trip, based on my limited map access (paper still) we will come out the same way we go in. Elevation gain is up to 5400' so we should see some pretty views. I haven't been on the road but don't anticipate a high degree of challenge but one never knows.

Bring your lunch, I hope to see you at the meeting spot. We should be home before dark.

Last edited:
I am trying to line this up so I can go. Hopefully I will see you at PPGS.

I'm in as well - will plan to meet up with the group as you turn the corner onto Cave Creek from Pima northbound. See you in the morning,

The beginning ....following the deer

IMG_0576.JPG

Great run today, gentlemen! And to think I almost didn't go because it's my last day of vacation before going back to work. I rightfully expected that 6 LandCruisers would show up (5 80's and 1 FJCruiser - 4 of the 80's were white, of course), and we'd all have fun on the trail. Little did I know that I'd be given advice to 'drive-like-a-drunk-teenager' in order to cross a muddy prairie, and that method seemed to work pretty well in the end. I hope the video will follow!

Pictures from my vantage point as the tailgunner - heading down the shadow side where snow remained:
wb31wl.jpg

Building up our 'Mud Tundra' tires, which incidentally have horrendously little traction:
nohq37.jpg

There's an FJCruiser in there straddled by 4 white 80's:
op05cw.jpg

Some great driving by Doug as he learned the capabilities of his FJCruiser - your wife is more patient than mine. Also special thanks to the spotters on this run who took their time, stacked rocks, and worked with my snatch strap to get things moving at times. I'm counting this as a 'snow run' for the simple sake of this one picture:
2q03tx3.jpg

Thanks again to everyone today, and especially to SaddleTramp for setting this up - I had a great time, learned on some new obstacles, got to make 4x4 mud rooster tails while drifting with my parking brake (*kidding) and even managed to drive on some snow. Not a bad start to the new year!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone on our trip today ...I learned a lot and had a great time ...Thank you again to the spotters and pullers that made my day...looking forward to our next outing ....

Fun day had by all. The frosty frozen ground turned to claylike mud by the end of the day.
image.jpg
image.jpg

We went for the scenery and found some challenges along the way. Our newest member, Doug and his wife Shirley, saw a few new techniques and met some of the challenges with with a strategically placed bumper or running board.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The group of six cruisers at the beginning of the day.
image.jpg

whos rig is that hidden besides Phils truck?

whos rig is that hidden besides Phils truck?

It was just a truck/trailer parked there when we showed up. No mystery guests:)

Brian or Richard, did one of you take any video of Thomas driving like a drunken teenager

I did. I'll upload it later today. I got video of Doug and Phil also. Phil's wasn't as exciting, he didn't want to get his truck dirty.

I did. I'll upload it later today. I got video of Doug and Phil also. Phil's wasn't as exciting, he didn't want to get his truck dirty.

the problem with white paint :rolleyes:

the quarter car wash must of got rich from you guys spraying off all the mud

$30 at the pressure wash, then 3 hours at home with the hose. At home I removed two five gallon buckets more of mud after the pressure wash. The to Costco for the $7.99 wash and a fill up, gas was $1.89 so the pain of spending so much to get the mud off was much easier to accept.

Most of the mud had a mix of long grass from the middle of the road and could easily have been used to make Adobe bricks. Couple more of those trips and I could build a hogan.

$30 at the pressure wash, then 3 hours at home with the hose. At home I removed two five gallon buckets more of mud after the pressure wash. The to Costco for the $7.99 wash and a fill up, gas was $1.89 so the pain of spending so much to get the mud off was much easier to accept.

Most of the mud had a mix of long grass from the middle of the road and could easily have been used to make Adobe bricks. Couple more of those trips and I could build a hogan.

:eek:
I cant afford to wheel with you guys in the mud anymore

You are welcome to come over and take all the "adobe" off of my truck that you want, no charge. Can you see your retirement hogan getting a little closer?:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom