Exploring Alternative FJ40 Under-Bed Fuel Tank Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It has been helpful, and if anything has pushed me in the direction of moving forward with some cardboard. To know that 10 other people haven't done quite what I'm aiming to do is a good push. My preliminary calculations and measurements seem to suggest I can get up in the 20 gallon range, maybe even 22. That said, I fully anticipate these 'calcs' will not end up being true to life once I get a cardboard shape built. Nonetheless, it's worth a try and I'll keep this current with my findings. Current, not quick!

Here's a doodle I made today during some idle phone conversations. Nothing too specific, and still leaves pockets of usuable space under the 40. Note that the deepest section is in the rear: no one wants to run out of fuel....but I'd rather it be on a downhill than an uphill...

To give an idea, there is roughly 28" clear frame rail to rail. A tank 24" by 24" by 6" is 15 gallons.

Matt

20150126175512491.jpg

How hard would it be to put a late model tank ('79-'83) under a 1972 FJ40 with a V8 conversion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom