Explain this lift kit for me please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TEQ

Tigger
Threads
Website
www.kindel.com
This is on an '82 FJ40. WTF, kind of lift kit is this? Is it just me, or was the original frame in front completely chopped off in order to accomodate this? Or is this what the front end of '82s look like?

44592040_4366989891_d.jpg

and more:

44592018_c4b47a15bc_d.jpg

44592002_82c38b8c5d_d.jpg

44591984_aae823e85a_d.jpg

How hard will it be to take this rig back to stock?

looks like one of the bolt on Shackle reversals, I cant remember who made it, But it works...FWIW, The shackles on the rear of the front look to be anti inversion shackles.
I have some leftover parts on mine, They welded the rear hanger on and put on a new spring hanger on the front for my SOA.
How do the rear shackles look? ....Long?
Good luck

Side note...I noticed you have a M sport...Turbo?, If so we have a guy here in SLC with one...Mighty fine car, I love our '98 M3

I dont know what it will take to return it to stock, But I think they cut off the rear front spring hanger. There is ALL sorts of things to read up on for a Shackle reversal, Some poo poo it some say it handles better...Its all up to you.
Good luck once again

I think I figured part of what was puzzling me out. This truck has a brush guard on it:

44591831_9afb200a6b_d.jpg

(see lower right corner of pic)

The rear supports for the brush guard fit over the frame member. The front shackles are attached to a bracket that appears to wrap around the frame member as well, with the bumper mounts bolted through both.

When I first saw this pic, I thought the frame member looked like it had been *cut* and all this stuff back-asswardly bolted on. But now that I look at the picture of the brush guard I see that the frame is in-tact, and these things just bolt to it.

So reversing this stuff to make this original should be relatively easy. No?

ckindel said:
Yes. See this pic:

Uh, Ok, so I'm a noob. I just spent some time reading up on shackles, anti-inversion, and otherwise and now realize that this photo is probably from BEFORE the rig had anti-inversion shackles installed. However, you can see that even in this picture the front shackles had been replaced.

I'm still sketchy on what exactly "shackle reversal" is. My reading didn't educate me :(.

lowenbrau said:
Looks like the kit from Land Cruiser Advanced Handling. Its reverseable if required.

Nope - the LCAH kit uses brackets on the front which extend forward (lovingly called 'rock catchers' by most). This kit came from MAF. Personally, I've run this kit and don't think that it's too bad. Would I do it again......No, I'd do a
lower profile through the frame SR and think about a SOA lift. But I wouldn't let it turn you off if you're thinking about buying this truck (it's for sale, correct?)

As far as returning it to stock: it the brackets were just bolted on, it's no problem - you'll just have to source some stock brackets. Many times the new brackets are also welded to the frame (these don't appear to be, though) and if they are, take that removal into account.

I have the MAF SR on my fj45, the front shackle hanger is removed, forget I think it was torched off. It looks to be the same kit as the one above. Oh and I welded mine to the frame. I did my SR for to make it handle better with 35's as well as to clear the 35's(with just 2.5" springs) I have now gone back to 33x9.5's which I should have stayed with, no need for the SR. But the MAF kits is prolly the best one out there

13536209.jpg

Last edited:
osteology and landpimp are right, the shackle reversal on the front is from Man-A-Fre, so is the brush guard. ridge runner is correct, the anti inversion pin is hitting the frame behind the shackle during compression. The shackle hanger bracket was designed to prevent shackle inversion with a stock style shackle so the third pin is redundant with this kit. The spring eye is free to travel the entire radius under compression but will hit the front of the bracket before allowing the shackle to invert and lock to the frame during excessive droop. This destroys springs.
You could replace them with stock or something similar like the greasable "dogbone"
shape shackles at MAF. They have no center pin

change the shackle on the front .leave the SR They work great on the road JMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom