Dealer Expert opinion on this '78 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What’s important to you about the truck you buy and how do you plan to use it? Looks like you’d prefer to buy something complete vs. a project, yes?

Do you prefer an NAS truck, or are you cool with a truck from anywhere?

I’m not a technical expert on these rigs, but I don’t think I’ve seen a rear shackle like the one on this truck.

I’m also not familiar with this dealer.

Last edited:
First off those shackles are scary... with all that work on paint top and bottom I would expect the axles to look cleaner( nice gloss paint) they look like they were just painted over and not prepped. My 2c

What’s important to you about the truck you buy and how do you plan to use it? Looks like you’d prefer to buy something complete vs. a project, yes?

Do you prefer an NAS truck, or are you cool with a truck from anywhere?

I’m not a technical expert on these rigs, but I don’t think I’ve seen a rear shackle like the one on this truck. I’m not familiar with this dealer.

Good question. Ideally, I'm looking for a daily driver quality, restored 40. I won't likely be wheeling, maybe weekend camping trips.

I'm not completely against a project, but the wife would be.

The rear shackle had me questioning, along with maybe some holes in the passenger side floorboard?

My wants:
- 2F, 4 speed
- no rear flares or diamond plate
- hardtop
- no rust
- Heat
- A/C would be nice
- Power steering would be awesome to get the wife on board
-
Disc brakes would be nice
- Smog compliant is a must in Jefferson County, Colorado from what I've read
- All lights/gauges work
- I like the older style acorn hubcaps
- A radio would be useful for a DD

I realize this is a big list of wants, but obviously some things can be added later.

A couple things that I notice:

-Fuel door is missing
-Little bit of rusting forming on the bottom rear fenders
-Missing things in the dash
-Rear shackle "lift" looks sketchy and needs to go.
-Non OEM wheels
-Bottom of rear bumper looks weird - maybe rusty?

What gets me is how bad the pictures are. Poor resolutions and only a few of the underside. I'd check it out in person and tap on the frame with a hammer just to make sure it wasn't just painted over. It just feels like a cheap resto to me. No quality shop would ever send anything out with rear shackles like that.

What are they asking for it?

-Fuel door is missing
-Non OEM wheels

What gets me is how bad the pictures are. Poor resolutions and only a few of the underside. I'd check it out in person and tap on the frame with a hammer just to make sure it wasn't just painted over. It just feels like a cheap resto to me. No quality shop would ever send anything out with rear shackles like that.

Thanks very much for the feedback. They're asking $23.5, which seems a little low for a restored rig based on what I'm seeing.

I was told that the engine/air cleaner is not correct for a '78, is that true? Is this an import?

Pretty rig. I go here for visual reference regularly. > http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={2B59A31B-E687-42D4-B81F-7488E56A2498}&AlbumId={0E79F9D5-2373-4B2B-85CC-64FB136E1749}&GroupId={8F5F24C2-F271-4F5F-B7AD-95E2D9504437}&nt=a. < Make sure you read the description. Some of these 40s have been altered but not many. The door to the gas cap/filler is missing. The engine may not be a 78". Check on the jump seats. Not sure they are correct for a 78". I believe they should have fold down legs, the legs were the wide version. The padded dash is aftermarket. The spot weld dimples on the tub and hardtop are not visible. Body filler or replacement panels?

Check the corners of the tub versus the corners of the ambulance doors. I wonder if that is a 78"tub. Like yotadude520 said, the photos aren't the best.

-Fuel door is missing
-Non OEM wheels

wow..nice catch on the shackles. strange.

The rear wheel openings in the quarter panels look like a pretty bad hack job, definitely not the oem opening..... you’ll need some flares to hide that. Also, that air cleaner indeed looks very different than the one on my 78.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the feedback. They're asking $23.5, which seems a little low for a restored rig based on what I'm seeing.

I was told that the engine/air cleaner is not correct for a '78, is that true? Is this an import?

I couldn’t tell you about the air cleaner, but for $23.5 I think its still a gamble. If you go look at it bring a hammer and ask if you can hammer on the frame. If they seem hesitant or say no, walk away right there.

I’ve heard of people doing this and the hammer will go through what looks to be a nice shiny brand new frame.

Also look up in the rear fender wells and around the rear sill for rust too. Also check for rust under the front doors.

It did look like they used a spray can underneath a bit here and there. And I've never seen shackles like that anywhere.

It looks like it was bought in late 2018 at an auction in southern Florida. Not sure if that means anything.

Isn't that a non-US air cleaner arrangement on that 2F? It looks like all the South American imports to me.

Not sure about the air cleaner but most SA 40's have no heater or dash pad. Considering the one on it was redone, I'd think it came with one from the factory.

Ha. I had to walk away from the thread and come back today.
Yes, lots of trucks and vehicles through the Port of Miami and various South FL areas you have to proceed with caution.
It may seem like a lot of length to go through, but to try and get North of $20k for a South American "botched" or "cobbled" truck that is no problem for them. I did see those crazy shackles and strange quarter openings. The incorrect air cleaner and non-standard underhood components.
Even the brake lines seem "custom" to me. I bend all mine carefully by hand the best I can. They're not perfect always, but you can see someone did those freehand, they're not repro or factory US-spec 1978 either way.
Best to look at LCN trucks or one of many purist builds on Mud for your year and "spec" truck that you're looking for. You can learn a ton about what is supposed to be with a particular year/model truck, be it 40, 45, etc.
Also check with any "old salty" 40 fanatic. We're always here to lend a hand 😜
GLWSearch!

For a good solid truck in that price range check with @overton He has nice rigs for sale
JP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom