Experience with different sized winches on an 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engineeredobsolescence.com
Hi. Looking to add a winch to my 80 series on 34.5" tires. Most fo the time it will be used to remove others, but in the vent I do get mired, I am wondering who has had winches stall on them and at what line length and winch rating. The 80 series weighs around 5'000 lbs, or closer to 6'000 with gear, larger tires, winch bumpers, etc. General winch accepted logic is a winch 1.5 times the weight of your vehicle. That being said doing a long line pull with only a turn or two on the drum can be an issue, and I have seen Warn winches rated for 8500 just not pull. My last winch was a Warn Zeon Platinum, and I don't think it would have stopped for much, but the fact is all Warn winches are not created equal. I did a few searches, and couldn't find any decent threads or conversations related specifically to 80s. Thoughts and comments?

AF2CDFAE-177F-4D4D-9ECF-3823E12126CC_1_105_c.jpeg

B5686593-FBE8-4F0E-9309-FE218B339FC8_1_105_c.jpeg

18DEA53D-8332-4156-B49D-DDAF97B84A35_1_105_c.jpeg

F13D3630-055E-47F6-9DE5-D2A88EC83B4D.jpeg

Reactions: J2P
Beautiful scenery, terrible roads. Is that Costa Rica? BTW, I have nothing to contribute to the conversation :eek:

I started with a 8K Ramsey on my '94 that I had kept from a previous, smaller rig. It seemed to be constantly laboring unless on the 1st wrap on the spool. I picked up a 12K Badland and was amazed at the difference. I would recommend 12K as a minimum on an 80 Series. You can use a snatch block to assist with smaller winches, but then you'll be using it for most recoveries with a rig of our size, to keep from straining. A good battery connection with proper wire size is critical, otherwise you're not getting full potential from your winch - whatever size it is.

I have an 8274 (8k lbs) and I've never reached its limits, but you are absolutely correct that not all Warn winches are created equal.

The factory Aisin winch is also 8k lbs but is designed for a stock vehicle.

Go with the largest winch you can fit and afford.

Brand will depend on your depth of use.

I bought cheap (Badlands 12K) because I will never be someplace I will NEED it because I'm not stupid enough to get there. Not saying those I will be with won't be though......

I've used it more for pulling around trees than I have anything else.

It needs to be heavy enough to pull a 6-7K LB truck out of a mudhole that has LOTS of friction force to pull it out. This can easily equal the weight of the truck, so you could see 12K easily.

The Duty Cycle is the thing that gets everyone. The Badlands is REALLY low. Supposed to stop for 2 minutes with every 45 seconds of operation. The Warn's are way better in this realm. But the Warn is in the $1200 range and the Badlands is in the $300 range. You pay to play.

Warn 9.5xp is known to be a workhorse with an impressive duty cycle. Downside it’s a bit pricey.

I bought cheap (Badlands 12K) ......

I don't know, B4M... I have not lived in the US for well over a decade but when I did Harbor Freight stuff usually failed on me after a couple of uses. I would buy from them when I didn't intend to use the tool more than once or twice. Maybe they have gotten better. By way of an analogy, I've bought 3 cheap Chinese 12 VDC compressors for the desert and each one failed quickly in one way or another. I did watch a video of a guy doing a comparison of the Badlands to a Warn, which was interesting, and he concluded it was fit for purpose, but I don't think he was really 'sold' on it.

But I'm still pretty much at the beginning with winches. My newest experiment is this mechanical winch that has a PTO off the transmission. It's going on a 91 model 75 pickup which will be a daily driver for my son who is all excited about it.
1578614501783.png

1578614430210.png

I'm really interested to get some experience with it. Still searching for one missing part. Re 80s, I think I've seen a mechanical winch on a model 80 firetruck somewhere. I'd really like to get one for the 80--most of my winch problems have been with the electrical stuff.

I bought a used Warn 8274 that I rebuilt for $75, and converted to a contactor instead of relay for another $45. The contactor has very impressive duty cycle, and supposed reliability. I use 65 feet of rope and have had no signs of stalling, and because the model is so popular world wide parts and motors, even upgraded motors are available.

I'm ignorant about this.
What is a contactor, if it's not a relay? What's the difference?

I'm ignorant about this.
What is a contactor, if it's not a relay? What's the difference?
Well the winch comes with relays that are mechanisms that use electrically activated magnets to activate the motor. These relays are mechanical, prone to failure (4 of them in total) and don't have even close to the same amp rating. The contactor I used came from Temco for ~$45 and is all electric and you need just the one. Plus its all sealed so water can't get in.

Warn 9.5xp is known to be a workhorse with an impressive duty cycle. Downside it’s a bit pricey.

That's what I just purchased for my first winch. I choose it as it will fit in my Slee bumper.

Glad I made a good choice. I also choose the synthetic rope.

The 80 series weighs around 5'000 lbs, or closer to 6'000 with gear, larger tires, winch bumpers, etc.

Have never seen an 80 that weighed anywhere near 5'000 lbs. All I've seen weighed 6,000 or more with armor and recovery gear.

Honestly, should never single line pull unless you have no choice.
Why not? Not all pulls are rigs stuck up to the axles in peanut butter mud. Most pulls I've done are single line pulls.

If you want to upgrade your winch contactor/relays search for an “Albright style“ these are waterproof and very reliable.

Have never seen an 80 that weighed anywhere near 5'000 lbs. All I've seen weighed 6,000 or more with armor and recovery gear.

Why not? Not all pulls are rigs stuck up to the axles in peanut butter mud. Most pulls I've done are single line pulls.

Safer, far less stress on winch and other components, increased pulling power.

Cheers

Have never seen an 80 that weighed anywhere near 5'000 lbs. All I've seen weighed 6,000 or more with armor and recovery gear............
Actually, stock USA spec 80's were under 5k lbs - barely. But the weight of mods adds up quickly.

Stock FZJ80 with ARB bumper (no winch) and 315s, half a tank of gas, driver and zero gear... 5300-5400 lbs (depending on driver weight). I have weighed 4 of them in this status and close enough in weight between them all to not quibble over it.

I also have a friend who sometimes approaches 10K in her overloaded rig!!!

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom