Expeditions???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by JTFJ40, Jul 22, 2005.

1. JTFJ40

JTFJ40

What about the Ford Expedition? Anyone out there wheel theres? Doesn't seem like a good wheeler but I have found mine very capable. Im looking to build mine up to be more of a wheeler, does anyone have any suggestions on upgrades, good lifts, performance ect... I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler MTRs on it and they grip like no other. I would love some suggestions if anyone wants to discuss a domestic for a minute.

2. calamaridog

calamaridog

My best friend has destroyed several Expeditions while off roading in the Border Patrol. All he can say is they held up better than the Tahoe. Now the Expeditions have IRS so they don't use them anymore.

There are upgrades available since it is domestic. Gearing, tires, locker, suspension, and shocks will all make it more capable off road. Tons of junk hanging nice and low on those things to get hung up on though.

Those things are huge, even compared to my UZJ100. Make sure your wife is cool with paint scatches before you wheel it:D

3. JTFJ40

JTFJ40

Mine is a 97 so it has the solid rear axle. It has held up very well considering the abuse I put it through and the fact that it has 160k miles. The only thing I have damaged on the underside is a strap that holds the gas tank and it still works its just bent. And don't take me wrong I don't go easy on it, the paint reflects that. Oh and I havent gone up against anything that can beat it in a pull off yet. Sucker pulls.

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

Heck, I don't want anything from the IRS anywhere near my vehicles either..! :D

5. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

LOL. That's kinda funny.
    Sure, build it up. I'll wheel with you. It might be amusing. Can you fit lockers on them (i.e. does anyone make lockers suitable for whatever's under an Expedition)?

It might be a tight fit on the Rubicon and some of the other sierra trails...but why not?

I've seen a few lifted around town, but never have run across one off-road.

Or are your plans to build your Expedition for expedition?

6. JTFJ40

JTFJ40

Oh yeah lockers are on the market for expos and they use ford 8.8 in difs

7. lingo

lingo

most of them have 9.75 r&p. not 8.8 (just 4.6L 2wd, I think)
    but lockers are still available pm me if you are interrested

8. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Thought this was a Toyota Forum...:D

F ound
    O n
    R oad
    D ead

9. lingo

lingo

Hey I make my living selling ford parts. The way I see it, it's job security. :D

10. okie

okie

From when i have been with you in the expo we usually go to Carnage off road park and spin donuts, go through deep creeks and up some inclines like that underpass right by Safeway. "Urban Rock Crawling" - doesn't get much better than that in Livermore ! :doh:

11. JTFJ40

JTFJ40

Well my front diff housing is marked 8.8 so its not 2wd 4.6s cuz mine is a 4wd 5.4l and come on OKIE you were there at Frank Reigns park and saw what it did there and remember when we went throught that water over the hood? As for you TX_TLC this is the "Chit-chat" section so Im departing from the cruiser discussions and getting an educated opinion on another topic.

First
    Over
    Rough
    Dirt

First
    On
    Race
    Day

SO :D

12. okie

okie

C'mon JTFJ40 that water was up to the top of your fenders not over the hood. DOn't get too excited. lol.

13. JTFJ40

JTFJ40

Oh who has to be right now?????? You just love to see my tail between my legs! Thats ok lets talk when Lilly Ann does the same thing! ;) LOL

14. okie

okie

Shes done more in HER lifetime than your expedition has ever seen. And no im just stating the facts. :D

15. nyk438

nyk438

In a pull off? You mean a tug of war type between two trucks and strap? If that have you tried pulling an 80? :D

My stock 80 pulled out a 6inch lifted FJ80 with the mud over the 35's pulled him out first try no problems. Doubt a Expedition could do that. I hate those trucks, no offense I'm spoiled with the cruiser.

16. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Thank you...I was just giving you a hard time...see the :D

If I need to ask about my Maxima...I go to maxima.org...probably a "good" ford forum out there too..

17. JTFJ40

JTFJ40

Oh is that a fact okie.... never mind I don't want to argue! Im sure your cruiser has seen much more off roading than my expo ever will, yours was designed for it and mine wasn't, I was never compairing the two. See who says I have to be right every time! :D Oh and TX_TLC sorry man no hard feelings I just felt like puting together a sentence with words bigger than I normally use! :D Oh nyk438 I got the rope if you got the time :flipoff2: But don't get me wrong I know my expo isn't invincible, I know it is a preppy 4x4 but it can do more than I think it was designed for.

18. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Good job with that.... :rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.