Exhaust work means I'm up against my limitations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have very little experience with exhaust work. The ears on the O2 bung of this '94 broke. Am I correct to assume a bung can be refitted? If I cut the bolts to separate the cat will I still have enough metal there to reattach the refurbed downpipe? I know I'm eventually going to need a full system solution, but hopefully I can buy some time here while I consider options and budget the $.

bung.jpg

downpipe to cat.jpg

You aren't going to like my answer.
Headers to resonator replacment of everything.
Don't forget to order the nuts, studs and gaskets.

If budget is short right now, take it to a local exhaust shop and have then cut off the broken bung and weld on a new one. Less than $100.

Im in the other end of the same boat, friend. Eventually, I will bite the bullet and go to a local muffler shop and replace everything below the manifold. This is my discovery after attempting one O2 sensor: Rotted exhaust stud, hence complete exhaust system.* See pic

o2 sensor stud.jpg

O2 sensor.jpg

No idea what your resources/limitations are but there are always hacks for keeping things going until it's a better time to do proper repairs. For instance I ran an o2 sensor that was held in place by long u bolts and some angle iron. The studs were broken off when removing the 02 and I wasn't ready to pull the section of exhaust to deal with it yet but with a bit of gasket surface prep a new gasket and the u-bolt/angle iron contraption it ran fine, leak free, for months.

Similarly you may be able to cut the flange connection bolts off, separate and then clean up the surfaces and re-seal. That's going to possibly be tricky depending on how much metal is actually left when you clean things up, etc.

You can get an new bung but may have trouble finding someone that wants to try to weld on your pipes. They are looking crusty and a lot of muffler guys I've known over the years likely wouldn't want to get involved with that.

Anyway, the posts above are right and it's time to figure out replacement of the system but if you just need to get it rolling there are quick hardware store options that will buy you a little time at least :)

I have cut out the section of pipe with the bungs and replaced the section with new bungs installed. Easy fix. Any decent muffler shop should be able to do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom