Exhaust, Vaccume, and Valve Cover Tear Down and Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok gents, onwards to the next project, full exhaust rebuild and I will also do the spark plug gaskets along with the valve cover gasket and ALL vaccume lines to try and find out why it's running a bit rich.

I'll start soaking these rusted bolts tomorrow to prepare for next weekends teardown.

1. Exhaust manifolds (will a 95 exhaust manifold work?)
2. Downpipe/Y-Pipe
3. Custom exhaust cat back by local exhaust company.
4. Aftermarket Resamator
5. Aftermarket muffler
6. Sparkplug Tibe Seals
7. All vaccume lines
8. Valve cover gaskets
9. New doors and trunk and sunroof seals
10. Other misc stuff along the way?

-Cheers

Sounds like a good weekend project. The '95 manifold will only work if you already deleted the PAIR system or are intending to delete it during this work.
Couple of things worth doing before you start ripping thing apart are:-
- Check for codes - even if the CEL is not on you may find some codes stored. If you have the time, it might be worth clearing the codes and then checking them after a day or 2 of driving. This will give you a baseline of how it was before you start.
- Check the function of the VSV's - There are tests for some in the FSM.

If you are doing all the vacuum lines then you need to remove the upper plenum so make sure you have all the appropriate gaskets (throttle body and EGR and plenum). This is a great time to change out the fuel filter and even change out the PHH and #1 bypss hose (assuming not already done.)

Good luck.

I am assuming from your username that you have a 1994 80-series. The '93 & '94 had this Pulsed Air Induction Rubbish fitted that took fresh air from the air filter canister and pulsed it into the exhaust manifold. If yours still has it then you need the exhaust manifolds that have the 2 orifices. If your area doesn't mandate smog checks including a visual check then I guess you could remove it.

I am assuming from your username that you have a 1994 80-series. The '93 & '94 had this Pulsed Air Induction Rubbish fitted that took fresh air from the air filter canister and pulsed it into the exhaust manifold. If yours still has it then you need the exhaust manifolds that have the 2 orifices. If your area doesn't mandate smog checks including a visual check then I guess you could remove it.
Yes, 94 80 series. What was the function of this?

Something to do with emissions but I am not sure of the principle. Clearly wasn't much use as it got canned after 2 years.

Injects air into the exhaust for lower emissions during start cycles I believe. I removed the pair system then installed my O2 sensors in the manifolds. If you are getting rid of it you can also install the coolant pipe from 95 and up which will get rid of the soft line that curves and goes into the thermostat top section

Air is injected into into the exhaust stream during de-acceleration to burn any unburned fuel to improve emissions. That is why you hear the reed valves in the PAIR when you rev the engine and release the throttle quickly. There is a funny little book you should read that documents this as well as many other functioning systems. It's called the FSM.

This hurts my head.

Interesting, $44 for 7 feet of 2" stainlesss exhaust pipe, $150 for a pipe bender...

So I have a duck in my engine. Yes, a duck, when I accelerate, I hear a quack, and when I turn, I hear a quack lol, best way to describe it.

Any ideas, I think it's exhaust related, that's why I post it here.

Comes from the left side of the engine if I'm looking at the engine with the hood poped standing in front of it, I think...

PAIR Valve?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom