Exhaust tubing sizing??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did some research and some reading got slightly confused ::) and fiqured I would ask the direct question.... Need to redo the exhaust and wondering what size tubing to use. some say 2.25 other 2.5. Wondering if there are those that have had both on the simialr cruisers could chime into the actual difference. also to open another can of worms , how about mufflers..... :D

FYI, it is a 77 fj 40 2f, aisin rebuild, stock intake and ceramic 6 into 2 with a y pipe.
Thanks guys. You expereince and willingness to share has made my decisions A LOT easier !!!! Thank You!!!!

You cruiser can use as much breathing as you can give it. I too am getting an exhaust bent up this week and I am running 2.5 all the way, with a "turbo muffler," it isn't loud like a flowmaster but still has very little backpressure.

Drew <><

I just got my exhaust bent up last Sat., I used 2.5" aluminized pipe. Not sure what kinda of muffler it is, I just told him I wanted it as quiet as possible.

Seems to work good, I think it looks nice also.

Some pics of last weeks work if your interested.

Matt

2nd pic

3rd pic

Nice looking rig buckroseau, is that the best place for the exhaust to exit? Not questioning it, just asking, right in front of the rear shackle? I have an aux gas tank in the way... uh oh.

Drew <><

4th pic

that looks tight!!!! :cheers: Tucked up and away pretty good too.

how does it run, what was on before? Did you notice any change??

Not sure if that is the best place to exit for everybody, for me it was. I have an aftermarket bumper, if I was to exit out the rear I felt it would have been to low and looked goofy. I know that if the axle were to flex up and back it would hit the bump stop before it hit the pipe.

With your aux. tank not sure? I know mine is pretty tight to the body, if you were to stand behind it on the ground you can't see the muffler at all.

What was on there before was rusted junk, so I can't honestly say if it is better since there is really nothing to compare it to. I can say it works very well now.

http://www.crustycruisers.com/matt.htm

If you click on the link above you can see what I started with.

Matt

[quote author=buckroseau link=board=1;threadid=14025;start=msg130309#msg130309 date=1080751946]

Matt
[/quote]
Matt-

looks great, when will you finish the paint? Also, how did you restore your hardtop cap. Did you recoat the Gel Coat? or just paint it?

Drew <><

[quote author=buckroseau link=board=1;threadid=14025;start=msg130309#msg130309 date=1080751946]
Not sure if that is the best place to exit for everybody, for me it was. I have an aftermarket bumper, if I was to exit out the rear I felt it would have been to low and looked goofy. I know that if the axle were to flex up and back it would hit the bump stop before it hit the pipe.

With your aux. tank not sure? I know mine is pretty tight to the body, if you were to stand behind it on the ground you can't see the muffler at all.

What was on there before was rusted junk, so I can't honestly say if it is better since there is really nothing to compare it to. I can say it works very well now.

Matt
[/quote]

great chronicle of your work, and good web site. i like the pic of you blasting the frame in the snow, looks cold as hell. how long did it take you to get where your at know?

[quote author=Drew <>< link=board=1;threadid=14025;start=msg130331#msg130331 date=1080754064]
Matt-

looks great, when will you finish the paint? Also, how did you restore your hardtop cap. Did you recoat the Gel Coat? or just paint it?

Drew <><
[/quote]

Funny you ask about the paint. I friend of mine who is a body man is supposed to be calling me today (at least that is what he said last week). I am going to take a few days off of work and give him a hand painting it. I did all the jamming up until this point, but I have a small paint booth. Not large enough to get a whole vehicle into though.

Hardtop: I block sanded it first with 220, make sure it was nice and flat. Then shot 2 coats of urathane primer and wet sanded with 400. Used PPG's, MTK line of single stage urethane paint, color is T-12 cygness white, someone on the group here turned me onto that color, looks totally factory.

Matt

[quote author=Tewlman link=board=1;threadid=14025;start=msg130334#msg130334 date=1080754418]
great chronicle of your work, and good web site. i like the pic of you blasting the frame in the snow, looks cold as hell. how long did it take you to get where your at know?
[/quote]

Started Feb. 2003, took about 3 1/2 months to get the frame, engine, suspension and everything else done so I had a rolling frame with the guts in it again. Motor was shot, complete total rebuild, was about $2,500 in parts alone just for the motor. The rolling frame with the motor and everything in it was done about mid May of 2003.

I had ordered my Gozzard fiberglass tub, fenders and rear doors in March, back ordered until about the end of June. I guess he has quite the back log of orders? The tub and parts showed up around the end of June. I just set the tub on the body when I got it, I actually didn't get to start working on it again until the end of Oct./early Nov. of 2003, so there was a 5 month period where nothing was done at all.

Started hitting it hard again in early Nov. 2003. What you see in the pics, from no body to right now was done in the last 5 months.

I would say I have a solid 9 months into the project, working almost every evening after work for about 4 hours and about every 3rd weekend gets dedicated to it.

Hope that answers your question?

Matt

yeah, thanks. btw, you should shrink that pic of the ladies and that ugly dude(on your website) and use as your avatar :D

[quote author=Tewlman link=board=1;threadid=14025;start=msg130345#msg130345 date=1080756074]
yeah, thanks. btw, you should shrink that pic of the ladies and that ugly dude(on your website) and use as your avatar :D
[/quote]

Those are more than just ladies! There fans, groupies and representatives of the crusty cruisers website!! I wish I had more room on my site to get pics of all of them on there, but there's just not enough room. :flipoff2:

First of all, congratulations for your nice job. I would expect to execute a similar job on my Fiji.
Secondo: Are these ladies photoshop tricks or real chicks?
mattccorgirlssmall.jpg

Tertio: You installed the stock exhaust manifold instead of exhaust headers. Right?

[quote author=Perfect Obsession link=board=1;threadid=14025;start=msg130462#msg130462 date=1080770620]
First of all, congratulations for your nice job. I would expect to execute a similar job on my Fiji.
Secondo: Are these ladies photoshop tricks or real chicks?
mattccorgirlssmall.jpg

Tertio: You installed the stock exhaust manifold instead of exhaust headers. Right?
[/quote]

Yes, Real chicks. I was at a convention last October for my business and I attended a professional basketball game one evening. It just happened to be the season opener. When I walked into the stadium someone from the franchise was grabbing people asking them if they would like a pic with the cheerleaders. We'll obviosly the ladies wanted a pic with me, they must have sensed I owned a landcruiser or something? Anywho, as soon as the pic was taken they handed me this card with a pin# on it. 4 days later after I got home I logged onto there website and enter the pin #, instant pic. How they do it I have no idea?

The only thing photo shopped is the some of the clothing in the store behind me, you can see the, "CCOR" on some of the sweatshirts. Also the tank tops of the cheerleaders have been photo shopped to say the same. You can also see, "CRUSTY CRUISERS OF ROSEAU", scolling on the sign in the background.

Yes, I used the stock exhaust manifold. The only thing I had to do was cut back 2" from the flange that bolted to the manifold. Then flared the new pipe and welded back onto the stock flange, better than new.

Matt

RBHME,

Did you buy the MAF header? If so, are you using their y-pipe or did you have one make up? If theirs, how do you like it?

Thanks

yes it is the MAF ceramic header. Yes I will be putting in the y pipe. I do not know how it runs as it is at the mechanics being done right now, along with timing, valve job, return to aisin carb and full check up of dist, coils and of course plug wires and leaks........ yeah it hurts..... my a$$ that is.....

Something had to be done as it was running really rough with the weber and had a few leaks from the PO using a 6>1 header MAF. Just looking for input to exhaust tubing size as the whole exhaust will have to be redone and looking for input .... So anyone please help!!!!

Thanks RBHME

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom