Exhaust Smell When Engine Braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Context: Rebuilt '78 2F with AFI TBI

Whenever I let off the gas without pushing in the clutch going down a hill or approaching a stop, I get a weird exhaust smell that I can only describe as "sharp". As soon as I push the clutch in or give it gas it goes away.

I don't think it used to happen when the engine was carbureted. Also, I do have a catalytic converter in the equation...may or may not be relevant info.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it good, bad, or indifferent? I can deal with the smell as long as it's not bad for the motor.

I'm guessing an exhaust leak when you let off the gas and brake you have less exhaust pressure less volume going out so the fumes arnt being forced out as much so a small leak may be what you smell? could be a small hole seem exhaust manifold gasket anything

I'm guessing an exhaust leak when you let off the gas and brake you have less exhaust pressure less volume going out so the fumes arnt being forced out as much so a small leak may be what you smell? could be a small hole seem exhaust manifold gasket anything

Could be I suppose. But I don’t get the same smell at idle. It’s specific to having a load on the motor through the wheels. As soon as I push the clutch in and let it idle the smell goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom