Exhaust size - 305 SBC?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Eskimo, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Eskimo

Eskimo SILVER Star

I HAVE to swap from my dual pipes to a single. I'm on the hunt for the infamous rams's horn manifolds, and will get that slick crossover pipe that Texican uses on all of his installs.

BUT - I have a 2" die for the JD2... and found some 2" OD exhaust tubing... so , in theory, I can bend up my own exhaust... saving me mucho $$$.

But, is a single 2" exhaust good enough for a 305? I have dual 2's right now.

Maybe the added backpressure will help my low-end torque, which I care most about?

To help myself be comfortable with it, I'm justifying it this way: the exhaust is close to being completely straight (after the crossover pipe), and since the JD2 won't kink the pipe like a muffler bender will, it'll be a full 2" diameter tube all the way back, and my muffler is pretty good. (Dynomax Magnum/ultra-flo welded) 2 1/4" pipe from a muffler shop would certainly be kinked where it's bent, so I'm ahead of the game, right?

Engine is a stock '85 305, with only a Performer intake and the exhaust being non-stock.

2. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    2 should be ok. that's what i ran on my first cruiser (i had to put 305 in when i blew up 350 and only had $50 to buy a good running complete v8). a properly setup single exhaust can outperform dual exhaust and is much easier to deal with.

3. hammerhead

hammerhead

You are correct - torque is your friend. We aren't drag racing. My exhaust was made of 2 1/2" with the "kinked" corners so in effect it is like a 2" pipe. It was setup for a 305 but now I run a 350 tow truck motor. Grunts like mad and sounds clean and throaty. Not sure what you mean about crossover but I made mine go under oil pan to left side of motor and back a couple feet before joining together in a high flow Y fitting. From there it goes through a flowmaster and out. Runs good and has great clearance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.