Exhaust shops / recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MichLC

SILVER Star
Threads
My 2004 100 literally needs a new exhaust from manifold to zoom-tube.

Before I pony up and purchase online I wanted to seek club feedback and just have an excuse for a philosophical LC conversation.

I've heard of some speed-shops in mid-Michigan who will build a custom exhaust for the same or less than purchasing one and have better quality but I don't know of any at the moment.

I'd like an exhaust that will stay tucked-in and not fall below the frame.

Hearing the Land Rover 2018 Defender sound makes me rethink the quiet, humble Land Cruiser OEM exhaust.

I put a relatively cheap muffler on my 2000 100 (Tuffy $60 and a lifetime warranty) when the OEM one went. The replacement is much lighter than the higher-quaity OEM that lasted 189,900 miles!

Purchasing a pipe-bender and welder is a strong consideration but then I'll never make it to a trail ;?)

Thoughts?

It kinda depends on who you can find. I have been all around my town trying to get the point "don't worry so much about how long it takes, just make it super nice" across. They are so used to cobble crapping up smoky Saturns for nothing that they just can't seem to break from that orbit.

If you could find someone to do a sweet job and make the diameter a little bigger and a good muffler, that 4.7 would sound pretty sweet. I don't mean like thousands of dollars. Maybe like $5-700 on the high end should do it.

I wish I was a bit more daring and prepared, I'd open up a Cruiser (or at least Toyota truck) only repair, fab shop.

I’m fortunate to have scrap 2-3” SS food processing elbows and plumbing to find in the shop scrap bin at times. Caras 80 has a high clearance custom SS exhaust and SS muffler.

Pages 5&6 show what I’ve done so far prior to the latest engine issues.

Reviving "the wife's" 80

Last edited:
It kinda depends on who you can find. I have been all around my town trying to get the point "don't worry so much about how long it takes, just make it super nice" across. They are so used to cobble crapping up smoky Saturns for nothing that they just can't seem to break from that orbit.

If you could find someone to do a sweet job and make the diameter a little bigger and a good muffler, that 4.7 would sound pretty sweet. I don't mean like thousands of dollars. Maybe like $5-700 on the high end should do it.

I wish I was a bit more daring and prepared, I'd open up a Cruiser (or at least Toyota truck) only repair, fab shop.

I’m hoping to find someone like that... Time to do a snorkle, sliders, bumpers, etc...
Yeah, we should talk about that Toyota shop... I’d love to do something like that. Maybe start with building the 2002 Camry ;?)

I’m fortunate to have scrap 2-3” SS food processing elbows and plumbing to find in the shop scrap bin at times. Caras 80 has a high clearance custom SS exhaust and SS muffler.

Pages 5&6 show what I’ve done so far prior to the latest engine issues.

Reviving "the wife's" 80

Nice work! You offering?

Nope! Can’t even get my own junk running!
Lol... “just keep swimming, just keep swimming”....

Perfection is the enemy of good enough... (learned on a mission trip to Alabama rebuilding houses)

When you want to purge the fleet let us know... I could use a 40.

Btw, that looks like a very nice barn in the pics! I’m trying to find a building now too... no time to do it myself and I’d like the walls to be pretty much straight.

I’m hoping to find someone like that... Time to do a snorkle, sliders, bumpers, etc...
Yeah, we should talk about that Toyota shop... I’d love to do something like that. Maybe start with building the 2002 Camry ;?)

Any thoughts on mufflers? Borla, Ansa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom