Exhaust Shop recommendation 92 Land Cruiser (3FE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I FINALLY am complete with replacing a piston. YEAAHH!

Scrapdaddy, a fellow Gateway Mudder, gave me an afternoon which I'm very thankful for.

Short story: The pipes at the manifold won't go on right and the hanger behind the cats is rusted off. I'm looking for a locally owned, mom and pop, shop near St. Louis to get these things right! It leaks at the manifold/pipe & bangs on the frame when starting and turning off.

Long story: A couple of years ago I installed a Bosnal (sp?) pipe & cat section from manifold to y-pipe. It was a pain to get in and was never right. I've brought it to the local Midas which has a good reputation in town, but they're NOT very thorough in their work. They've "fixed" what I did twice now and it's still not right. I'm sick of getting it patched up there and want to start fresh with a new system from manifold back. I'll spend a little on good flowing cats and will probably get a cheap muffler with flanges for easy replacement. I know nothing about how an exhaust affects the engine, other than the obvious "free flowing is better". I'm thinking about stainless steel with flanges at components (cats, muffler, resonator), so I can buy cheap replacements when needed, but remaining system is near permanent.

Recommendations would be much appreciated!

Also, has anyone got custom exhaust work done? About how much money for complete system? Reason I ask is EMS Power (IIRC) has a complete system for a 3FE for about $1,100. If anyone has had this done and it was $1,500 or more, I may buy this complete system custom built for exact fit in a 1992 Land Cruiser and install it myself.

Thanks,

Joe

I FINALLY am complete with replacing a piston. YEAAHH!

Scrapdaddy, a fellow Gateway Mudder, gave me an afternoon which I'm very thankful for.

Short story: The pipes at the manifold won't go on right and the hanger behind the cats is rusted off. I'm looking for a locally owned, mom and pop, shop near St. Louis to get these things right! It leaks at the manifold/pipe & bangs on the frame when starting and turning off.

Long story: A couple of years ago I installed a Bosnal (sp?) pipe & cat section from manifold to y-pipe. It was a pain to get in and was never right. I've brought it to the local Midas which has a good reputation in town, but they're NOT very thorough in their work. They've "fixed" what I did twice now and it's still not right. I'm sick of getting it patched up there and want to start fresh with a new system from manifold back. I'll spend a little on good flowing cats and will probably get a cheap muffler with flanges for easy replacement. I know nothing about how an exhaust affects the engine, other than the obvious "free flowing is better". I'm thinking about stainless steel with flanges at components (cats, muffler, resonator), so I can buy cheap replacements when needed, but remaining system is near permanent.

Recommendations would be much appreciated!

Also, has anyone got custom exhaust work done? About how much money for complete system? Reason I ask is EMS Power (IIRC) has a complete system for a 3FE for about $1,100. If anyone has had this done and it was $1,500 or more, I may buy this complete system custom built for exact fit in a 1992 Land Cruiser and install it myself.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, the EMSPowered header-back exhaust system for the 1990-1992 3FE FJ80 exhaust system is $790, is stainless steel all the way through, has flex sections built into the y-pipe (no cracking), fits, works, has proven power gains. If you want to replace the entire system it'll be hard to find anything even half as good for that price. http://www.emspowered.com/storefron...uct_info&cPath=61_119_120_121&products_id=761

If you're just wanting to get it roadworthy again and patch the holes, take it to a good muffler shop and they should be able to cut out the rusted sections of pipe and weld some new sections in. Get quotes FIRST though. Labor can really add up quickly on patch work depending on how they charge you. Make sure they give you a solid quote that they'll stick to before they start the work.

Try pricing out the pieces on www.rockauto.com
If all you need is a part of the exhaust, that's a great option. And from what I see they don't even offer a replacement crossover pipe. But if you need to replace most or all of it even from Rockauto for a complete Bosal exhaust system (minus the crossover pipe) you're looking at:
Muffler section: $140.79
Tailpipe section: $60.79
Front right pipe: $258.79
Front left pipe: $258.79
Total: $719.16

Last edited:
The EMS Powered exhaust does look pretty tempting - I've been looking at replacing my exhaust for quite a while.

For your rig, the single high flow CAT adds another $125 - still a good deal though.

My '96 starts at $790 but that is for aluminized. With CATs, resonator, and 304 stainless ill be over $1k but I'm still considering.

There is a great custom exhaust guy in the Washington area - WFD can likely come up with a name for you.

EMS Powered it is!

Thanks for the responses folks. I'm going with EMSpowered, but not buying till next month (Santa's funds are a higher priority).

FREE for me (commentary): Trying to quit smoking and Jan/Feb is a good time of the year. I'm figuring about $1300 with cat & resonator & shipping which is 216 days not smoking (31 weeks, 7 months). If I go 7 months next year not smoking, I think I can finally quit.

By the Dollars: I've probably already spent $1,000 on the exhaust over the last few years. Put a new Bosal (sp?) (2) cats with pipes on that still don't fit right, no flex (solid) where it meets the manifold, does NOT seat with manifold well, cost about $700 IIRC. Midas has taken at least another $300 patching holes. If EMS powered had a system in 2009 and I had the money, I'd be $1000 ahead (spilt milk, but maybe someone else can use the recommendation).

Cat effectiveness: There is a lot of info about 1 cat vs 2 cats, but I haven't read anything about the effectiveness of 1 cat. Is it obvious? Does 1 cat clean 1/2 the bad emissions of 2 cats?

The EMS Powered exhaust does look pretty tempting - I've been looking at replacing my exhaust for quite a while.

For your rig, the single high flow CAT adds another $125 - still a good deal though.

My '96 starts at $790 but that is for aluminized. With CATs, resonator, and 304 stainless ill be over $1k but I'm still considering.

There is a great custom exhaust guy in the Washington area - WFD can likely come up with a name for you.

WHOA! He is still alive...:p

Not sure "sell" is the right word - more of a "turn over" situation

www.emspowered.com for 1990-1997 is $790, +$125 hi-flow cat, +$90 resonator, is $1005. Add shipping and miscelaneous, budget $1200.

Christmas Time, so no spending now. Maybe I'll tack it on to our Christmas expenses and try to hide the cost. It'll be like hiding a watermelon with a kleenex!

www.emspowered.com for 1990-1997 is $790, +$125 hi-flow cat, +$90 resonator, is $1005. Add shipping and miscelaneous, budget $1200.

Christmas Time, so no spending now. Maybe I'll tack it on to our Christmas expenses and try to hide the cost. It'll be like hiding a watermelon with a kleenex!
We make one exhaust for the FJ80 (1990-1992 with 3FE engine), and one exhaust for the FZJ80 (1993-1997 with 1FZFE engine).

FJ80 exhaust here: http://www.emspowered.com/storefron...uct_info&cPath=61_119_120_121&products_id=761

FZJ80 exhaust here: http://www.emspowered.com/storefron...uct_info&cPath=61_119_120_121&products_id=344

The FJ80 (1990-1992 with 3FE engine) exhaust is slightly cheaper than the FZJ80. But still hard to hide in a kleenex :cheers:

Hey Miescha,

What' s that on the back of your bike?

Steve
94' 255,000

You mean the hot naked chick on the back of the bike?

Or the airbrush painting on the back fender??

Got the ems powered WHOLE system (thanks Baktasht). Big box in the garage waiting for a break in the weather. Maybe this weekend, PLAN: Thursday night park in driveway, jack-up front, remove PS front wheel, PB Blaster all exhaust bolts; Friday morning and night, spray again; Saturday spray and try to get to a few bolts; Sunday's high is 53, GET ON IT!

Hate having done ALL this work and being so close, but afraid to drive with too much gas in the cylinders possibly washing out the freshly honed cylinders and not properly seating everything.

More to come with pics. . . .

EMS Powered - DO I HAVE ALL PARTS?

Baktasht,

I left you a PM. Wanted to show you pics of what was in my box.

First, it's a beautiful day here in St. Louis, time to open up the Automotive Shop.
P1010273.jpg

First I figured I'd set out the pieces:
P1010274.jpg

I think I'm either missing the cross-over pipe or the tailpipe. I have (4) pieces: Manifold thru Y-pipe (near white bucket in pic); cat (near gray shovel in pic); cross-over (I think); muffler.

Also, I believe I'm missing some clamps.
P1010275.jpg

Notice the bag only has one clamp which I believe is for the cat.

Please give me a call 314-973-0028.

Thanks,

Joe

PS Didn't want to embarrass you on the main forum. I figure the MO Gateway Cruisers clubhouse is most inconspicuous where I can post pics.

P1010273.jpg

P1010275.jpg

P1010274.jpg

Good talking to you on the phone. The missing pieces are on their way to you. Sorry about the packaging mixup. Let me know if you have any questions.

Baktasht,

Got the tailpipe and 3 clamps last week. Good news, weather is on my side this weekend as the forecast is 60's this weekend. So the mix up only cost me a couple of weeks.

Angry Commentary:
Bad news is I broke my ankle last Tuesday. I play indoor soccer in an over 40 league. We've got a Bosnian team in the league and those folks are CRAZY about soccer. Nice people before and after the game, but during they're nuts! So, I'm defending a guy and I, quite luckily, strip him of the ball and start to dribble up-field. BOOM! I'm on the ground in pain. I have no idea what happened since he was now behind me. Maybe he accidentilly hit my ankle while going for the ball or hit me at just the right time to break it. But maybe he was embarrassed, got pissed and nailed me. I went 47 years and 11 months without breaking anything and am pissed.

Angrier Commentary:
I was supposed to go on a 4 day weekend wading and fly fishing for trout starting Thursday. I just bought $400 in new waders (old ones finally wore out) and fly fishing stuff and was ready for the trip. This is the 3rd trip I've missed this year! First because my wife had me redoing the basement, second had too much work at the office, and third due to broken ankle. If I don't get out soon and get some "Joe Time" I'm going to turn into a HUGE a******! I've seen it before, not a pretty picture.

I'll post the install with pics and commentary on the main page.

Joe

Im late to the game. There doesn't seem to be any emf exsost or any other exsost for my 91 fj80 anymore. Does anybody know someone who will do a custom cat delete system in Minnesota or Wisconsin?
I wish i could get the emf. Eveybody seems happy and i know there needs to be flex

Ive just emailed EMS power about an exhaust. Hopefully he is still around. Anyone have any luck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom