1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust routing ideas for Fj40 with SBC???

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by DunBroke, Feb 22, 2004.

1. DunBroke

DunBroke

Anyone have some exhuast routing designs for an Fj40 with a Chevy V8 with block huggers? Looking underneath I have big ass headers right now that dump out on the outside edge of the frame rail so routing is easy underneath the tub. I am swapping to block huggers though cause the big headers generate so much damn heat. With the block huggers though it looks like exhaust routing is going to be painful. The t-case looks like it will be in the way on the passenger side. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks!

-Kerry

2. too tall

too tall

I am currently building(having it built ) the exhaust for my 40 it has a sbc and block huggers. I'm planning to run the passenger side in front of the oil sump into a two into one (2x2-1/4 to one 3")and out the rear a single 3" to the muffler and the tailpipe.i'll post some pics when it is done (eta this weekend coming)

3. HI^C

HI^C

buddy has block huggers, just ran it across to the drivers side and ran both the same past the driveline then moved them to exit nicely.

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I had a crossover built to run under the pan in front of the sump as well. Ties into the left side and runs as one pipe out the rear.

5. DunBroke

DunBroke

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was hoping to run dual exhaust all the way down on either side with a balancer pipe 2/3's of the way back. I guess that won't happen. Looks like 2 into 1. I like the idea of the 3" single pipe. Is it really worth the extra size?

6. HI^C

HI^C

my buddies is dual all the way :)

run what ever pipe you can, you could even go back to dual setup with a flowmaster muffler from like a newer chevy goes from 1 to 2 and i think its a 3" inlet. CHEAP on ebay and usually tons of them on there.

that is only if you decide to run it that way.

7. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

The F-body muffler is like that. The question is why would you want to run one back, then split into 2 at the muffler unless you wanted people to think you had dual exhaust, but you really didn't?

You can run two next to each other along the left side and have true dual, but really, a single exhaust works great for engines built for low end.

8. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Not sure how you feel about going to a local muffler guy, but I took mine to one of our "good ole boy" muffler shops, he ran dual all the way out for me, threw in dual chamber flowmasters and hung it for $300. Go with a Flowmaster if you have the $$$; you won't regret it at all. I toyed around with a few other mufflers for a year or so and when I drove off with the new system and flowmasters the difference was unbelieveable.

Good Luck.

9. msahr

msahr

Media:
    Albums:
    OK dumb question... does Downey still make the fenderwell headers? I liked mine on my old 74... although I still have the scar from when I got burned :whoops:

10. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    fenderwells are out there....great if you like added heat, rust, expensive stuff, and don't mine bashing your mufflers constantly...

I run a custom crossover under the oil pan to a single 3" Works great.

11. too tall

too tall

had my exhaust done yesterday . Turned out great . 2-2-1/4" into one 3" used a 50 series suv flowmaster. You can bareley hear it when it is idling beside you but it sounds pretty fierce when you put your foot into it. I'll post pics later today.

12. DunBroke

DunBroke

Hey Too Tall. How did you choose those Flowmaster 50's over the 70's? I heard the 50's were a lot louder than the 70's. Nothing like the 40's though. I'm trying to decide on mufflers but I am just not sure which to go with for my SBC.

13. TxCruzr

TxCruzr Wait, this ain't Texas...

I'm running ramhorns on mine. There is a cross over pipe under the oil pan, which then goes to one single pipe along the drivers side to the back. There is a long narrow muffler (probably some cheapo) above the rear axle. Sounds pretty good. Also have a exhaust dump right before the muffler so I can make it louder....and sound better. :D
    Theres a picture near the bottom of this thread.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227211

Joseph

14. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I run block huggers like you mention and did dual 2.5 inch lines all the way back with flowmasters. They exit behind the rear wheels. Find a shop that's good at bending pipe and they can do anything.

15. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=too tall link=board=1;threadid=11911;start=msg112647#msg112647 date=1078075358]
    had my exhaust done yesterday . Turned out great . 2-2-1/4" into one 3" used a 50 series suv flowmaster. You can bareley hear it when it is idling beside you but it sounds pretty fierce when you put your foot into it. I'll post pics later today.
    [/quote]

we want sound clips and Pictures!! :D

16. cali-cruiser

cali-cruiser

i'M thinkin of running my exhaust through my 2X6 rockslider on the pasenger side.(Diesel) my 2 cents

17. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle

[quote author=cali-cruiser link=board=1;threadid=11911;start=msg113486#msg113486 date=1078195873]
    i'M thinkin of running my exhaust through my 2X6 rockslider on the pasenger side.(Diesel) my 2 cents

[/quote]

I've got rock feeler exhaust right now. I was contemplating going outside the frame rail through the body outrigers. Just take a good ole 3" hole saw to make way, and reinfoce by welding in 3" tubing. Then run the exhaust through that. Only issue so far is figuring out how to get the exhaust on the outside of he frame rail without mounting block huggers upside down and putting a 180 deg tube to get it high enough to go above the frame rail. Or I considered putting a hole through the body, 90 degree it along the rockers for sidepipes. In the end I'll probably take my pills and do something 'normal'.

Heath

18. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    butterfly headers... i have some for sale, as i am switching to block huggers...... they go around the steering and exit pointing straight at where a rock bar or slider would be.. thats why i am getting rid of them

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">