Exhaust REEKS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'86 FJ60, 2F with *new* rebuilt carb from SOR. Cat is clean as a whistle, but the exhaust has a terrible smell. I'm getting 14.25 MPG's, and it's not smoking at all, so I don't think it's the carb. It idles great, etc. I DO have a leaking exhaust manifold :mad:(under the heat shield of carb), and it smells the same way if I stick my head under the hood by the carb (where the leak is). What's the deal? Thanks for your help.

Anyone have any ideas on this one??? HELP!! :mad:

What does it smell like? I bet if you fix your leak at the EM, then you would not have to worry about it (if you are smelling it in the cabin). If you are just curious in general, switch gas or get your 60 some Beano.

Juke

have any holes in the floor that the exhuast is getting thru??

Fix the exhaust manifold.

Well, it's kind of funny because not only does it stink at the leak, but it has the same smell at the end of the tailpipe. It kind of smells like...diesel exhaust??? That's the only thing I can think to compare it to right now. I'm definitely going to fix the manifold, but I have a feeling that this will not cure the smell from the tailpipe.

$80 to fix the manifold??? What shop do you go to?!

How long have you had the car? Maybe someone accidentally loaded her with diesel. Happens quite a bit out my way b/c the diesel pumps are right beside the gas pumps. Even though it is a green handle, people still miss it.

Not many things out there that smell like diesel.

keep sniffing around your tailpipe and you'll get exhausted!

Jukelemon,
Not long, 1.5 months and 3000 miles. Still stinks. It's kind of embarrassing with the windows down in traffic.:p

Are you in a smog test area? It might be running really rich but if you're passing smog tests then that's not it.

[quote author=tewlman link=board=1;threadid=12891;start=msg123387#msg123387 date=1079641917]
keep sniffing around your tailpipe and you'll get exhausted!
[/quote]

Har-har. Good one, Toolie.

I know that I get a sulfury smell around my cars with catalytic converters, sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom