Exhaust questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have started getting our 87 FJ60 back into good order, and have a few questions about the exhaust system. We are running a Man a Fre high performance 2F with the stock exhaust. The exhaust odor is very strong, both inside and outside the vehicle when running. I am pretty sure most of the interior odor is due to the hole in the ds rear quarter panel, but I suppose that an engine bay leak could lead to fumes through the air system, yes?

The catalytic converter is rusted pretty bad, and as far as I know, it is original to the truck, which shows 195,000 on the clock. I am not in an area that requires emissions testing, but still have it set up for smog. Is there any benefit to eliminating the converter when replacing the exhaust system?

Also, what benefits are achieved by using headers? I am considering replacing the whole exhaust system with parts from Man a Fre, including their tuned ceramic headers. Are the headers worth it? Are there other manufacturers that offer a similar set up?

Also, an H55 5 speed is in the distant future for this truck. Are there any clearance issues I should be aware of? I would'nt think so, but you guys know more than I.

I would prefer a bolt up system, as I don't have access to a welder right now. What do you all think?

You are not getting all that the hi-po motor has to offer if you are not running a header and more free exhaust. If you are not in an emissions controlled area I would definitely run a header and replace your exhaust system. Eliminate the cat if you can, it's just more cost and hassle.

Should not be any issues with the H55. I suggest you install the header then take the rig to a muffler shop to weld in new pipe and a high flow muffler. Bolt up stuff is more prone to failure and the clamps tend to rust heavily underneath the rig.

...I am considering replacing the whole exhaust system with parts from Man a Fre, including their tuned ceramic headers. Are the headers worth it? ...

... Are there any clearance issues I should be aware of?

I would prefer a bolt up system, as I don't have access to a welder right now. What do you all think?

The only clearance issues with the ceramic headers is that the Y-pipe is run in a way that it prevents removal of the clutch inspection cover (unless you pull the front driveshaft out of the way). More annoying than a problem.

It was almost a bolt-in system for me... the flange on the Y-pipe that bolts to the cat was clocked, so I had to cut and reweld it. I guess I could have returned it to get a perfect one, but this was easier.

All in all I'm pretty happy with them, I'm hoping the ceramic coating will help them hold up a few years longer than other headers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom