Exhaust Question

I Am Thinkin Of Taking The Cat Off Of My 94 80 Series Does It Sound Good. Does Any One Have Tips On How To Get A Little Power Out Of The Exhaust While Sounding Good.

I don't think you will gain much, as todays cats are free flowing compaired to the cats of past. When I took off my cats to fix the exhaust leaks, all I saw was a set fo screan like material.
If you cat is not plugged, I think all you will get is stinky exhaust.

Gumby

Supamod
Staff member
s-Moderator

Taking your cats off will only pollute the air more. It will not sound better. It will not run significantly better.

I think a 1FZFE sounds like ass when it's not properly muffled. It it way too smooth. It just drones.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star

Easy on the 'shift' button, Tex. 34 capital letters and two periods is eye-numbing.

I agree with the droning sound of non-stock exhaust. I've got the Borla cat back on my '95 from the PO and it is definitely loud and a little droning at freeway speeds. I kinda like it, personally, but I wouldn't feel bad going back to the stock setup once I bash it up on the rocks. Unfortunately, the droning noise is worst at 65, where I get my best mileage. Oh well, that's what the loud stereo is for.

thanks, do you know where they sell the hookers at because i've never seen them for my car.

hey gumby i just ripped my cat off and it sounds awesome i got a whole magnaflow system put in probably 10hp gain i am getting headers soon. and the exhaust smells good

RV80 said:
Hooker Aero Chamber 2 1/2" all the way through no cat, and headers.
that's what i've got on mine
The last time I was interested in a Hooker exhaust for my car, I think Jeg's carried them. This was back in the late 90's though. Hooker exhaust sound really good if you like a little bit louder exhaust.

I don't think there is ever a substanial gain in modifying and or removing exhaust components. There may be a 5% increase. I don't know the specifics behind every application.

I don't care for EGR however. Nothing like dumping dirty spent exhaust into the mix. But I guess it serves some purpose.

In the end, as the saying goes...."there's no replacement for cubic inch displacement".

Besides, in LandCruisers we enjoy and most prefer reliability, durability, torque and crawl ratios, not horsepower.

Top Bottom