exhaust question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks, Ive got a safety issue question. My son of a----- shop man put in duel exhaust on my 62 with fresh cats, 02s and the works BUT:rolleyes: he thought it would be a smooth move to not but mufflers on :rolleyes: after i told him it WILL be to loud:mad: . His answer was well hell if it is i will slap on 2 free ones on if so. Well i get a call yesterday genus cant wire up the 2 aftermarket 02s i gave him please bring up oem, fine i said . well this morning i get there and he says the way he routed the pipes/cats and such he HAS NO ROOM FOR MY MUFFLERS.:D . folks that know me would be proud that i kept my composure. Soooooo my question IS do you know if it will be a problem IF i put a 2in 1 MUFFLER about 6 inches under the gas tank off set to the drivers side.OR WILL I BE TOAST:D .:beer:

Last edited:
i must add the lack of quality craftsmanship in my area is yet to be desired:frown:

Last edited:
So you're saying run the exhaust underneath the gas tank?

Why not just put the 2-into-1 muffler in the stock location, ahead of the axle, then run a tailpipe from there using the approximate stock routing?

If you lived in central Ohio, we could get this done in an afternoon.:mad:

If the muffler is 4" away from the fuel tank, it will be fine. The stock exhaust pipe is only a few inches from the fuel tank.

So you're saying run the exhaust underneath the gas tank?

Why not just put the 2-into-1 muffler in the stock location, ahead of the axle, then run a tailpipe from there using the approximate stock routing?

If you lived in central Ohio, we could get this done in an afternoon.:mad:
ya i know.the problem with moving it to the norm location is the way he has the cats routed.1st one is right at the tranny/transfer 2nd one is where normally the muffler goes.everything is welded,clamped and such:frown: i really dont want to rip a 500 buck setup apart if i can poosibly get away with it .yea i was wondering if it was safe/or would it boil the gas if it was a few inches below the tank.the filler of course is on the passenger side of course and i believe the muffler IF was placed under the tank .anotherwards the muffler would not be completly under the tank:beer: thanks jim.the next dam time i will take the day and drive to your area and have it done.i almost ask to pay you to do it,but i know how busy you are;)

ya i know.the problem with moving it to the norm location is the way he has the cats routed.1st one is right at the tranny/transfer 2nd one is where normally the muffler goes.everything is welded,clamped and such:frown: i really dont want to rip a 500 buck setup apart if i can poosibly get away with it .yea i was wondering if it was safe/or would it boil the gas if it was a few inches below the tank.the filler of course is on the passenger side of course and i believe the muffler IF was placed under the tank .anotherwards the muffler would not be completly under the tank:beer: thanks jim.the next dam time i will take the day and drive to your area and have it done.i almost ask to pay you to do it,but i know how busy you are;)

It sounds like he (the shop) will be doing it right for free.

If what you described is the correct order of events then I would be dropping of my truck this afternoon and telling the guy to call me when its correctly finished with mufflers. You are paying for the work and that is what you asked for. Its his fault for trying to do it different.

well:frown: its home for now :rolleyes: its not throwing any codes:cool: I had to order a 2 in an d 2 out:mad: another freaking 100 bucks. He is refusing now to tear it complety down and redo it, So he promised me instead he will shove it back as far as he can. But its still going to be in the area of the gas tank but with shields. I ADVISED HIM i did not like this at all. And left it at that. Not worth getting in a fist fight over:frown: .I will probebly have to take it to columbus to have it redone if i see the temps are going to be to high. Keep ya updated.:beer:

Ya know with the 600 dollars you just spent you could have made it yourself. I just welded up an exhaust under my rig in about an about 2 hours....not 2 days ago. Prob about 3 dollars worth of wire and cost of tube. You could have had a welder, muffler, and tube for the cash you just laid down. Both rigs had exhaustes on them when I bought the rigs and as I re-did both of them I noticed how horrible the welds were. Most where not even welded at the top of the tube close to the body and its not like these rigs where done at the same exhaust shop ( I bought them 1000 miles apart).....Its hard to trust anyone to do anything on anything any more....

Ya know with the 600 dollars you just spent you could have made it yourself. I just welded up an exhaust under my rig in about an about 2 hours....not 2 days ago. Prob about 3 dollars worth of wire and cost of tube. You could have had a welder, muffler, and tube for the cash you just laid down. Both rigs had exhaustes on them when I bought the rigs and as I re-did both of them I noticed how horrible the welds were. Most where not even welded at the top of the tube close to the body and its not like these rigs where done at the same exhaust shop ( I bought them 1000 miles apart).....Its hard to trust anyone to do anything on anything any more....
well here is the thing these welds the guy did are perfect:eek: Just no dam thought into the layout:mad: . Oh yea if i would have known 600 bucks sure i would have did it myself;) . This is the reason im going to school for fabracation/welding because of s*** like this. Its no wonder folks are biased about west virginians:frown: . The sad part is he is not even done yet:eek: that makes three days:beer:

Stop payment if you paid by visa. Take him to small claims, whatever. You are the customer. He f'd up. He either needs to fix his f'up, or refund you the $$. Quite simple.

X2!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom