Exhaust question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What an awesome forum, I’ve already been able to find answers to troubleshoot a few issues on my new to me 95 LC with the poverty package. I had an injector go bad and the thread by George tlc helped me diagnose it very quickly.
My question is, do you think it is possible to reroute the exhaust inside the frame and place the catalytic converters where the muffler is and to relocate the muffler to the spare tire area ? I’ve got a plan to put the spare in the back using a similar solution to the Tools R Us bracket.

There are plenty of threads were the exhaust has been rerouted. Search "over the frame". It doesn't require moving the muffler.

There are plenty of threads were the exhaust has been rerouted. Search "over the frame". It doesn't require moving the muffler.
I’ve looked at that option but it still leaves the catalytic converters in a terrible spot. Adding sliders is more difficult and my goal is more clearance. Looking at it, there seems to be enough room but I don’t know if having the converters that far back will impact how effective they will be given the heat loss from the exhaust gas.

I’ve looked at that option but it still leaves the catalytic converters in a terrible spot. Adding sliders is more difficult and my goal is more clearance. Looking at it, there seems to be enough room but I don’t know if having the converters that far back will impact how effective they will be given the heat loss from the exhaust gas.
When I installed the Magnaflow cats, they are rotated, and much higher than OEM. I can install and remove the exhaust with sliders on it as well as install / remove the sliders with the exhaust on it.

When I installed the Magnaflow cats, they are rotated, and much higher than OEM. I can install and remove the exhaust with sliders on it as well as install / remove the sliders with the exhaust on it.
Good to know, do you have any pictures you could link or post? Thanks in advance.

Yeah the magna flow gets it up a bit. if you're willing to do some custom work to the magnaflow Y pipe you can get it up a bit more. Some pictures of what I did in my build thread. You'll still have to drop the legs for the sliders around the CAT and pipe. I've drug my sliders over a lot of rocks and never hit the dropped down leg part. Keep in mind I have a 1" body lift so that affords me a little more room to move things up.

To answer your question what you want to do is probably possible. You'd have to move both O2 sensors and position them the same relative to the CATS. Be sure to solder all the connections and use quality wiring. The CATS get very hot so you will want to add appropriate heat shielding in their new location. You will also have to cut up your y pipe to go inside the frame rail. I looked hard at this as an option and decided I didn't like how close the exhaust pipe would be to the transmission and some wires/sensors.

Pics:

Parts list:

IMG_20191027_180659921 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20191027_180751473 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20191027_180713064 (Medium).jpg

You want to keep the cat as far upstream as possible, it needs the heat to be effective. I have a Magnaflow, previously had a nodal. Both keep it up high enough to not worry about.

This is how I reroute my exhaust inside the frame rails. Custom Y pipe with Magnaflow flex pipe and cat converter. Magnaflow muffler on factory location.

D69FC783-3247-49FB-8F4C-023DEB605731.jpeg

AB647140-B394-458E-83A5-7A203F672E9E.jpeg

7A5E040C-6B1D-4E01-8FB8-DC06AF9EFDF7.jpeg

It’s warm and toasty during winter since it has no heat shied:) it would be fine if you use converter that has heat shield integrated to it instead of spun converter like I have. I would also would put it further up where the flex pipe is if I have to redo it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom