exhaust manifolds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do you know your LC has a exhaust manifolds leaks or cracks? Is there any symptom?:confused: If it is such a common issue, how come Toyota does not do a recall "Money Issue", or perhaps all LX/LC ower shuld have a class acton.

This link has the answers you are looking for - Manifold questions answered here

They won't do a recall because the failure rate is small, there is no safety risk and they are already replacing cracked ones still under warranty. The most likely result of a class action suit is a lawyer getting a huge pay out and the members of the "aggreived" class all getting a coupon for $1000 off the MSRP of a new 2006 LC 100.

"Toyota buyers' suit yields cash -- for lawyers". Under a newly approved class action settlement, thousands of customers will get $1,200 coupons, rather than cash, from a Memphis Toyota dealership charged with cheating buyers. "The lawyers who brought the suit -- Richard Fields, Saul Belz and Earle Schwarz -- get $1.3 million in legal fees." Some customers have expressed indignation that in order to get any of their money back they have to patronize the dealership again.​

Last edited:
Loud ticking noise on acceleration.

That's our symptom that I think is related to a cracked or misaligned exhaust manifold.

We brought the car in to the dealer for repair a few years ago (under B-to-B warranty) and they "fixed" it.

A year later, it started ticking again.

It starts off very loud when cold. It could convince you that you have a valve smacking the piston or head. But then it quiets down after the engine is hot.

Over time, the engine has had to be hotter and hotter before the ticking subsides. So I think the gap is widening.

How can you tell it's been replaced or not?

If you don't know any service history of your vehicle, can you tell the exhaust manifolds been replaced or not? Year 2000 with 51K on the clock, should I be worry?

Do you hear a ticking noise on cold startup ? Have you read the FAQ on manifold problems ?

2garfields said:
Year 2000 with 51K on the clock, should I be worry?
I bought my 2000 with 54,000. Replaced both manifolds under warrenty at 58,000. The ticking was there when I bought the truck, but due to my ignorance did not realize what it was until after the purchase. At least the warrenty covered it.
I wouldnt worry if you dont hear the ticking.

i have a 2000 with 55k miles and a cracked passenger manifold - Toyota has told me I am SOL - its only covered under the 3/36 warrenty. I dont think the failure rate is small as there is a TSB for it.... they just dont want to pay to fix it - or at least Gulf States Toyota doesnt want to pay to fix it.

Coastal said:
i have a 2000 with 55k miles and a cracked passenger manifold - Toyota has told me I am SOL - its only covered under the 3/36 warrenty. I dont think the failure rate is small as there is a TSB for it.... they just dont want to pay to fix it - or at least Gulf States Toyota doesnt want to pay to fix it.
Try a different dealer. the first one I went too (toyota of North Hollywood) told me it was not covered. But the second one (Keyes Toyota in Van Nuys) said that absolutly it was covered and they did the repair without question.

Dont the dealers get paid (by Toyota) if they do the repair under warrenty? What is their hesitation to do the repair? Just thinking out loud.

sethos1 said:
Dont the dealers get paid (by Toyota) if they do the repair under warrenty? What is their hesitation to do the repair? Just thinking out loud.

They get paid but don't get thier usual profit for parts or the "normal" $85/hr shop rate. If they are already swamped with "paying" work they might not be interested. Thats why you may have to shop around for a dealer interested in the warranty work.

off the record the guy at the dealership told me i wasnt going to get it fixed in Gulf States Toyota region (who is the distributer - not the dealer) as they had to clear it and will not..... Something to the effect that it cuts into their profit margins, are they are basically a monopoly for this part of the country.

First off, read your owners manual and any supplemental emission guide. It will spell out what is covered and for how long. Call another dealer or dealers in the area and ask. If your under warranty, and the dealers do not WANT to fix it, call Toyota customer assistance and file a complaint. If still no action, call your BBB, local consumer affairs office, DA, or even State DA. If you walk into a dealership service office with your warranty booklet that shows it's under warranty and they refuse, ask to speak to the general manager. Let your voice be heard in the service write up area asking questions like "so, your not going to honor my warranty?" You don't need to be a :censor: about it, just ask for what you paid for, A WARRANTY!

in the book its only listed as 3/36 - but apparently some people have been able to convince the dealer to fix under 5/60 - exactly why, i am not sure, but am guessing that they have an allowance to fix things under customer goodwill.....apparently Gulf States Toyota doesnt allow any goodwill!

My wife's 04 4runner has the same symtoms with the V8. I am out of warranty. I can go to the dealer and throw myself on the mercy of the court. Will a leaky exhaust cause any engine damage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom