Exhaust Manifold - Will this piece come off without the rest of the manifold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wondering if the circled part (see attached picture) of the exhaust manifold can be removed with out the entire manifold coming off?

Why? Because I bought all the parts to replace the EGR Pipe (J-Tube) and the PO screwed up the studs (the flange on the pipe goes through the studs, then bolt on) that go into the exhaust manifold. What is left of 1 and the other need to be removed and replaced. I have never messed with a manifold, but while looking at it, it seems the circled piece in my attached image could be removed without removing the whole thing. I hope that is the case - this was suppossed to be an easy repair, but I'm learning a lot.

If so, feel free to share any instructions for removing it. Thanks in advance for the help.
Fj60 Exhaust Manifold.jpg

lots of PB Blaster or similar, let soak spray every day for a week.
It will come apart, but not sure if it will while still in the rig, getting close to the firewall??

It's gonna be really tight back there. Like uncomfortably close to the firewall.

I would just pull the manifold entirely and clean up things while you're in there.

It's gonna be really tight back there. Like uncomfortably close to the firewall.

I would just pull the manifold entirely and clean up things while you're in there.
x2. Don't let pulling the manifold intimidate you. It's not that tough a job and will save you lots of frustration in the long run.

Butt

The manifold will have to come off is you want to remove that rear horn, but you "should" be able to replace those studs without removing the manifold or horn. It's tight, but if you remove the heat shield (if it's still there), and don't break any bolts, and with enough penetrant and a little blue flame, you should be able to get a stud remover up there on a long extension...

Or, you can weld a nut on the existing studs and get them out that way.

Or, as an alternative, most muffler shops have a machine to weld in stud stubs ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom