Exhaust Manifold Questions. 2000 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, a couple of questions regarding the exhaust manifold. I have taken them both off, and wow, what a job! This is coming from someone who has never even changed their own oil on the rig, so I was definitely intimidated.

I have ordered new Toyota manifolds, gaskets, studs, and bolts, but part of me is wondering if I should have ordered the Doug Thorley manifolds instead? I had two worries with them 1) That they might not fit with the AHC lines of my LX470, and 2) that without the heat shield, I could run into melting lines in the engine bay. Any Thoughts on this?

Secondly, while I am waiting for my parts to come in the mail, I thought I should do some cleaning/surface prep of the block to clean carbon deposits. I only saw one Youtube video where somebody talked about using Emery cloth on a sanding block to get a smooth surface for the new gaskets; does that sound like the best way to do it? Thanks a bunch for the help guys!

Last edited:
Great job on the removal. I'm going to have to do this soon. I can't say much on the DT headers, I bought some longtubes from Aussie Land I need to get on.

I also removed my AHC. I'd search some of the DT Header threads, there are a few, and I'm sure someone has them installed on a LX with AHC.

They'll fit, though they're more difficult to install (IMO) than the stock manifolds. And the AHC lines are going to make the install job a little worse for access. (But the job is huge either way, may as well get the gains of the DT headers.)

If you go with DT headers, keep the OEM manifold gaskets and use those. The driver's side header is totally different, so you may want to bend some things out of the way (like the main A/C line). I instead wrapped mine in heat tape.

Order the DTs!!! Did mine about a month ago and couldn’t imagine going back with factory headers.

I had a leaky two cracked OEM ones and did the DT headers as well. I ended up bringing it to a shop after breaking/rounding a few bolts that were pretty rusty on my truck. They had to torch out all the old bolts on the drivers side. Once they had the old ones out the install wasn't too bad. My vote is that if you're in there, you may as well upgrade. The DT's are super nice.

Seem to be out of stock on their site... where did you get yours?

Hey guys, a couple of questions regarding the exhaust manifold. I have taken them both off, and wow, what a job! This is coming from someone who has never even changed their own oil on the rig, so I was definitely intimidated.

I have ordered new Toyota manifolds, gaskets, studs, and bolts, but part of me is wondering if I should have ordered the Doug Thorley manifolds instead? I had two worries with them 1) That they might not fit with the AHC lines of my LX470, and 2) that without the heat shield, I could run into melting lines in the engine bay. Any Thoughts on this?

Secondly, while I am waiting for my parts to come in the mail, I thought I should do some cleaning/surface prep of the block to clean carbon deposits. I only saw one Youtube video where somebody talked about using Emery cloth on a sanding block to get a smooth surface for the new gaskets; does that sound like the best way to do it? Thanks a bunch for the help guys!
Hats off... I've done engine swaps and engine rebuilds... I'm not looking forward to getting mine done.
Seem to be out of stock on their site... where did you get yours?
Summit Racing had them.

I just ordered Aussie pipes I’m wondering if it will be any different being a right hand drive, ( we drive on the left)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom