Exhaust manifold oil leak: Aus HJ60 2H+Turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20191207_140714.jpg

Hi everyone, so I'm troubleshooting a few issues with my 85HJ60 (Aus spec) and would love your help/advice. I've searched this forum and haven't really found anything specific to this issue. So really looking forward to learning from guys.

My 2H engine with an aftermarket turbo has done 424,000km and has the following symtoms:
- Blows black smoke when running for an hour
- Blowby (not sure if excessive)
- Catch can fills up fairly regularly

Most alarmingly, the exhaust manifold shows oil leaks from exhaust port 1 and 6.

One shop has told me that this means engine rebuild time (between 5k 7k). But I'd like to know if it could be anything else?

Comp test came back looking OK across all cylinders.. so I'm confused there. Results below cold/hot:

1: 420/440
2: 453/420
3: 340/420
4: 425/440
5: 420/440
6: 450/430

I think the turbo was added around 9-10 years ago based off the dates on the air filter etc.

The big quetsions for now is, will it run for a bit longer or should I stop driving it straight away? We were planning a few days camping over christmas and new year. And then get stuck into the rebuild.

Your oil rings are most likely worn out. It will go on for ages with careful driving. The black smoke is probably injectors due for service.
You'll just have to be careful the cops don't pull you over for excessive smoke.

Think roscoFJ73 is right on the oil ring, for the smoke / injectors try a can of Liquid Moly diesel purge, if you have it there it cleaned up my intermittent black smoke and improved the ideal and running very much. I remove the fuel filter and filled it with the Purge and ran it in place at different speeds for 5 min.

You could try one of those engine detergents, but on old engines it maybe the sludge around the rings holding it all together and there is the danger of losing all the compression.

Thanks guys.

Looks like it's rings/rebuild either way. Nice $7k bill :)
At this stage I'm wondering if I can take it on this road trip in Tasmania over xmas/nye . 7 days, no more than 2hours of driving per day. No towing/roof racks etc. Mostly tarmac with a couple of dirt roads.
I don't want to make it worse. I can take oil and top it up. Or just plumb the catch can back into the intake. Oil is black and it was changed less than 5000km ago.

The oil in a 2H is always black. Only time I saw it golden was the day after my rebuild. And 500 km after that, it was black again.

I think that with your compression numbers, a few days of driving should be fine. Have a great trip!

Thanks guys.

Looks like it's rings/rebuild either way. Nice $7k bill :)
At this stage I'm wondering if I can take it on this road trip in Tasmania over xmas/nye . 7 days, no more than 2hours of driving per day. No towing/roof racks etc. Mostly tarmac with a couple of dirt roads.
I don't want to make it worse. I can take oil and top it up. Or just plumb the catch can back into the intake. Oil is black and it was changed less than 5000km ago.

I wouldnt be too worried, it will be ok with gentle driving. Dont get it too hot and easy on the pedal. Second hand 2Hs pop up all the time. Many of them have been rebuilt and then the body rusted away a 100000klm later.
I think you could do the engine rebuild for under $5k if you did the removal and installation yourself.

The 1HZ oil can take on a molasses like state in winter.

Brain fade on my part missed the compression readings, you proudly have sone bad oil seals on the exhaust values, that can be fixed with out a tear down go stuff here

I forgot to thank everyone for thier advice on this thread. Alas, it got worse and I've dropped a second hand motor in there. Which is running heaps better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom