Exhaust manifold horn removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
OK MUD is awesome!!!.

So far MUD has helped me successfully remove my carb, taught me how to use the double nut trick (that led to the successful removal of the studs in the intake manifold and thus allowed me to successfully remove the intake/exhaust manifold.

So I got everything off today and separated the EGR system from the manifolds and separated the intake/exhaust manifolds. So now HOW THE HECK DO I GET THE HORNS OFF OF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD? One side is definitely loose and can almost be twisted in a 360. Part of me just wants to take a rubber mallet and beat the S*** out of them till they fall off.

Any other suggestions?:cheers:

You mean the ones that go to the two opposite ends of the engine? Those...those are supposed to be able to move, I'm pretty sure. Definitely don't go after them with a BFH.

Just keep working them back and forth until they come out. Maybe put it in a vise. All they have holding them in place is carbon build up. They have what looks like piston rings around them that I am assuming makes a tight seal when heated.

Use lots of PB Blaster, Seafoam, or similar to loosen up the carbon and rust. You can work your way around the gap between the manifold and the horns with a screwdriver to slowly pry them apart.

Just a simple slip fit - PB blaster and twist 'em out.

Thanks for the info gents. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to bugger something up if I started pulling them off.:cheers:

Don't whack at it, just gentle twist to pull out. There's some circular springs and rings that seal the horn that you don't want to damage; they're kind of expensive to replace...

GL

To get a jump on the next question, how do you reassemble the horns onto the manifold. Just slide them in. One side came out really easy on mine. The other is being a bear.

How do the little springs work? I get the rings that fit in the slots on the horn itself. The springs are a little confusing to me.

I have a feeling I'm going to want to know how the horns go back on with the hardware as well. I have new springs ect. on the way and wouldn't mind pictures.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom