exhaust leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Been driving my FJ60 for a while with an exhaust leak. It's been annoying and I've not had the time to deal with it until this weekend. After pulling the carb insulator and heat shield the reason for the leak became evident. Wide open, exhaust belching holes were present on the #2&3 and 4&5 pipes. The 2 piece headers have never impressed me and this just adds to that impression. Cruiser came with the header and these holes have been blasted through within the past couple of years.

Also learned that lacking the proper pipe cutting tool a circular saw with an old plywood blade will do the job reasonably well ;) . Stock manifold, with an open pipe, is back on and the worn out 2F sounds better even if a bit loud.
leak1.jpg

Leak?

Damn Jim,
That looks more like holes than leaks. There are only a few rare cases that I've seen where headers work well on 2F or 3FE's there always seems to be some
kinda problem with the damn things. Good luck with you're repairs.
I see you're from Tallassee you may know my brother in law Micky Coleman?
He's in charge of the Parks and Rec. over there. Check you later.

Is the flange pulled away from the head as much as it appears? The nuts are off the studs but damn, that thing is crooked!

It was a 2 piece header, now closer to a 4 piece. The flange was ok and it was tight to the head, in the pic I'd already pulled most of the nuts and bolts. I was surprised by the size of the holes, the largest ca. 1 x 2 cm. The intake was black from having the exhaust blowing over it. Stock manifold is back on and I had the local muffler shop take care of the exhaust this morning. Now I only have tire whine and driveline noise to deal with, and all the stench exits to the rear.

The 40 has a Downey header which is also cracked and leaking so that one will have to go sometime soon. After going back to the stock manifold on this 60 I may do the same with the 40 instead of slapping on another header. The level of noise reduction is noticeable.

That is normal in the aftermaket headers . ? I hope few years after .. maybe 5 .. ? I thought in diesel engines is a diferent story .. ;)

Do diesels run headers? If they do, the lower exhaust temp might help them last longer than the gassers.

60wag said:
Do diesels run headers? If they do, the lower exhaust temp might help them last longer than the gassers.

Yes off course you can .. in Aus are very common named extractors ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom