Exhaust leak - Maybe cracked? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just pulled off my Steering Gear Box. So I was not going to start my truck and listen for leaks

Since I had a clean view, I was nosing around looking for anything obvious that will point me to me exhaust leak.

I was going to go ahead and replace the gasket between the EGR and exhaust manifold. As well as the gasket between the Exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe.

When I started soaking it with PB Blaster (to crack the bolts tomorrow) I noticed this.

I guess I have 2 questions:
1. What do you think? Is this a crack?
2. Can I safely start up my truck with the SGB gone and hoses dangling? I know I will get sprayed, but is it bad?
cleaned up.jpg
exhaust leak.jpg

I would take the belt off the power steering pump. You would probably pump it dry pretty quickly.

I don't think it's a crack. The tube may be inserted through the flange then flared so it seals against the gasket.

I replaced my EGR pipe gasket twice only to find out my exhaust rail on top of the engine was leaking where the small tubes go into the big tube. I don't hear well but damn I swore it was down in the area you are looking at.

I don't think it's a crack. The tube may be inserted through the flange then flared so it seals against the gasket.

X2......

There would be a presence of black soot residue.........

when you do start the engine up use a tube with one end in your ear as a stethoscope to locate where the leaks are coming from. this works really well to isolate where noises are coming from.

i think it's a crack. I just did my manifold gasket and went to replace the egr gasket. looked very similar and the pipe was completely disconnected from the flat part the gasket is sandwiched by.

buddy helped me clean it up and re-weld it. Threw a coat of hi-temp on fresh weld, and waiting to reinstall it.

GL!

rob

Crack

It was a crack. I pulled the exhaust pipe down off the manifold.

I was able to see light right through the pipe.

I grabbed the MIG and placed a weld around the whole flange. Should be sealed up now.

Quick question.

Has anyone or should I put Copper sealant on the top of the flange with the gasket?
weld exhaust.jpg

I sprayed some copper coat and reused the old ceramic gasket (or whatever it's made out of). No more tft.tft.tft as I accelerate down the road.

funny how i just stumbled upon the same problem last week. this must be a common problem!

that's what I did, and mechanic buddy of mine (who helped me weld mine up) said it's very common. He's a toyota mechanic.

I used a new gasket as the old was blown out on one section. Remflex! This is definitely the only way i'll do a manifold gasket ever again. My truck had 2 toyota gaskets in 3 years, this one seems to be sealing up WAY better. and now that the EGR tube is not cracked it's quiet and running awesome! This is on my older truck (the 87), which currently is my DD while i'm torn down and installing Damplifier in the new 84.

also, if anyone wants to find remflex - a mud member sells them - Iron_Giant iirc. Also, has a site to order from.

GL!

rob

Heads up

I put the exhaust back in.
Used Copper sealant & new OEM gaskets.

I read in some posts that it may crack due to a broken motor mount. So, I checked them out.

Both were pretty loose. The drivers side was very loose. I cranked them down.

BTW: I did not see that Remflex makes gaskets for the Exhaust Down-pipe.

The down pipe alco clamps to a bracket off the tranny; that way, it motor giggles cause of bad motor mount, stree isn't applies to the 'press fit' seal of the flange to the downpipe....
Mine leaks too....now that I have a spare truck (94 FZJ80) I can take it off & get fixed...and if it take a few days , no big deal,,,I can get to work in my other DD :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom